• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

if hemingway was 15, skinny, & listened to indie music...

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brood_Star
wow! im around the same age, listen to indie music and attempt to be literary sophisticated! we should totally like

ps do music gurus generally approve of indie music? i'd assume jazz and classical and possibly even world are a given, but indie?

First, I'd like to point out that why would approval by a music "guru" influence your decision on what to listen to? If you enjoy it, then have at it...

Indie music is rarely known for being a technically (instrumentally) challenging form of music. I suppose it depends on what you listen to, seeing as something like MGMT or Neutral Milk Hotel is not as difficult as the music of Minus the Bear (who use some rather interesting guitar techniques), but overall Indie music is better known for it's "sound" and lyrical substance more than being a "higher" form of instrumental music.

Also at 15 there is no real sense in trying to dress up very much as you're likely to grow out of most of what you wear still, so buy nice things, but if you don't have much cash don't invest too much in very high-end clothing.

Also dressing like Mr. Jack K isn't too bad of an idea, although it's a slightly "older" man look, not much of a 15 year old's form of dress.

The icons of literature, while unique in their own styles of writing, and to a lesser extent their form of dress, aren't necessarily the best to follow for fashion advice.

I've never heard someone walk up to a kid with an eyepatch and a suit say, "That outfit is very James Joyce of you."

Electricity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
^^^
I think a beard would be the first thing to get. I hear they're relatively inexpensive.

I got the Classic, not the Authentic, but it fits well. I'm a 33 and I got a 32.

I've been agonizing a long time on which model to get... or something other than sterlingwear.. by the time I make up my mind i will have died of hypothermia.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior

Indie music is rarely known for being a technically (instrumentally) challenging form of music. I suppose it depends on what you listen to, seeing as something like MGMT or Neutral Milk Hotel is not as difficult as the music of Minus the Bear (who use some rather interesting guitar techniques), but overall Indie music is better known for it's "sound" and lyrical substance more than being a "higher" form of instrumental music.

I hate to be an asshole about music (just kidding) but this post is remarkable. It is as if, a household pet, upon gaining the miraculous tool of language, attempted to employ said agency in describing music culture. Adorable, yet utterly lacking in any meaning or significance.

Goblin

Reaction score
broodstar.jpg

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i wouldn't wear jeans. just wear tighter fitting sage or khaki chinos or corduroys. button down shirts with the sleeves rolled up or short sleeve button downs if its hot out. colors- white, blue oxford cloth, navy, red. simple patterns if any. definitely get some shirts with chest pockets or all out safari shirts. maybe thrifted plain solid polos too(white and navy). if you wear tees or beaters make them plain white.

in summer. somewhat short chino shorts

fit would be very important. the indie kids like tight fitted tapered stuff so lean in that direction but don't go too extreme, papa would think that was pretty gay.

shoes. brown leather boatshoes or plain white plimsoles, or maybe even vans, chuck taylors or jack purcells if you want

in winter. some sick brown leather lace boots. maybe even old military boots(brown not black). chamois shirts. buffalo flannel. wool or cashmere sweaters maybe even military surplus sweaters. wool shirt jackets. filson, woolrich. barbour cotton jackets for sure

get a classic looking watch. gold on a brown strap. you probably can get a vintage one for cheap at a thrift store. maybe buy a cheap gold plated seiko.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
"Literarily sophisticated"?

I would have sidestepped the issue by keeping the first adjective and making the second adjective a substantive noun

he has to learn grammar before he learns style
teacha.gif

also, i don't think "sophistication" is a substantive noun because it's not a physical object
teacha.gif

teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif

chiral

Reaction score
I'd personally love to see someone bring back the Ezra Pound style/hair.
poundhoppe.jpg

Ezra_Pound_1945_May_26_mug_shot.jpg

Cover.jpg

Such a crazy man.

Brood_Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
First, I'd like to point out that why would approval by a music "guru" influence your decision on what to listen to? If you enjoy it, then have at it...

obviously not going to change my opinion

just wondering what some elitists would think of it

delicate balance between technicality and sound as i dont imagine them listening to bucktehead or crap like that

Brood_Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
"Literarily sophisticated"? "Literally sophisticated" seems wrong. I would have sidestepped the issue by keeping the first adjective and making the second adjective a substantive noun; "make attempts at literary sophistication" or "attempt to be a literary sophisticate".
totally realised my sentence was wrong but it was 12 and i said ******* >
smile.gif
also bach i never made any claims to anything so you can shutup sometime soon ^_^

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I hate to be an asshole about music (just kidding) but this post is remarkable. It is as if, a household pet, upon gaining the miraculous tool of language, attempted to employ said agency in describing music culture. Adorable, yet utterly lacking in any meaning or significance.

You could have just called it obtuse and moved on instead of being a raging dick about it.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From way back on page three (the sequence must be completed):

Originally Posted by Magician
The National is just Band of Horses for pussies (And Band of Horses is just My Morning Jacket for pussies)

And My Morning Jacket is just plain awesome.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
You could have just called it obtuse and moved on instead of being a raging dick about it.

You sir, are and idiot.

(For the record I was merely having a bit of fun with these youngsters, who I'm sure will develop a modicum of musical taste as they embark on the wonderful and strange journey that is puberty. )

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everybody loves a know-it-all 19 year old.

blackgrass

Reaction score
Best style advice post yet. I have a wallpaper shot of him in Idaho on a pheasant hunt...Hemingway has always been a bit of style influence for me.
Don't forget the cuban guayabera shirt...

Originally Posted by mr.loverman
i wouldn't wear jeans. just wear tighter fitting sage or khaki chinos or corduroys. button down shirts with the sleeves rolled up or short sleeve button downs if its hot out. colors- white, blue oxford cloth, navy, red. simple patterns if any. definitely get some shirts with chest pockets or all out safari shirts. maybe thrifted plain solid polos too(white and navy). if you wear tees or beaters make them plain white.

in summer. somewhat short chino shorts

fit would be very important. the indie kids like tight fitted tapered stuff so lean in that direction but don't go too extreme, papa would think that was pretty gay.

shoes. brown leather boatshoes or plain white plimsoles, or maybe even vans, chuck taylors or jack purcells if you want

in winter. some sick brown leather lace boots. maybe even old military boots(brown not black). chamois shirts. buffalo flannel. wool or cashmere sweaters maybe even military surplus sweaters. wool shirt jackets. filson, woolrich. barbour cotton jackets for sure

get a classic looking watch. gold on a brown strap. you probably can get a vintage one for cheap at a thrift store. maybe buy a cheap gold plated seiko.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads