• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IF GQ and ESQUIRE were your only source for sartorial advice, how would you dress?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
So, how's that working out?
Ask the OP. The question is posed as a thought experiment, but the responses have been largely as expected. I'd be more curious about "What is the Arnys catalogue were your only source of sartorial advice? How would you explain your mode of dress?" I am personally neutral to neg on GQ, current Esquire. They show a lot of Italian stuff of varying levels of quality. I used to have a subscription, but I don't subscribe even at the low, low rates they offer, but I will confess to flipping through the odd issue at an airport newstand. The danger to me is that the stock in trade is the authoritative voice, like that of an older brother explaining the ways of the world. Only the advice is often pretty questionable, and almost never caveated with a "of course, you should think about your body type/coloring, etc to make a great look". In the end, copying entire outfits right out of GQ might work OK. But they put stuff together in trendy ways and don't really identify the underlying visual logic of successful outfits. It makes sense - they are there to sell mags. If they taught you how to fish, they wouldn't be able to sell you their canned tuna every month.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
But they put stuff together in trendy ways and don't really identify the underlying visual logic of successful outfits. It makes sense - they are there to sell mags. If they taught you how to fish, they wouldn't be able to sell you their canned tuna every month.

Good point and great metaphor.

Now, what if your only source of information were International Male?
crazy.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, you could do worse if you follow fashion advise from fhm, stuff and maxim.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Good point and great metaphor.

Now, what if your only source of information were International Male?
crazy.gif

--- A pirate, phantom of the opera character, and euro trash.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read GQ as I have a cheap subscription, I have to say that the Italian, German and UK editions are better than the US...

As I have an slim physique the outfits there would fit me right, but I don't follow their trends... Simply read it as a passe-temps...

Anyway, seen the status of the men's style in the US, GQ or Esquire would do a great benefit to the overall style on the male american's if it was read by the majority... Even if we could consider its advice is not the best... it is largely better than how the masses use to dress in the US

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I read GQ as I have a cheap subscription, I have to say that the Italian, German and UK editions are better than the US...

Agreed on the British GQ being superior to the US version. Bought an Italian version while in Rome to help pick up the language - no luck there, but at least it looks nice.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQ really has nothing to offer a >40 male. If I followed its rules I'd look like I was trying to recapture my college years.

Esquire is okay. If I followed its "rules," I would have to throw out all my pleated pants, DB suits, and god knows what else. Esquire does like it, the brown shoes, however.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, a recent gq issue had an article on axl rose....
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If everybody wore Gucci, we would all be the better for it.

Or we would all look like sausages in shiny suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 76 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.8%

Forum statistics

Threads