If black is not a good color for an interview suit, then what about Midnight Navy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RLiu818, Feb 13, 2007.

1. RLiu818

RLiu818 Member

Navy seems to be the best color for an interview suit, but does getting a Midnight Navy cross the line? People say that midnight Navy may even appear more black than black in certain lighting so does that defeat the purpose?

2. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

You are really overthinking it, most people on here will nit pick everything. Just wear what makes you feel confident, and dont look like a slob. No one is going to not hire you because you wore "the wrong shade of navy".

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It's also pretty hard to find a really midnight blue suit. If you think you've found one, it's probably black.

Personally, I'd get charcoal for a first suit anyway.

4. The Happy Stroller

The Happy Stroller Senior member

What kind of job are you applying for and where (city, office environment - commercial? academic? government? etc.) will you be working in?

I have never heard of Midnight Navy, only Midnight Blue, which is not considered black. But being much darker than Navy Blue, it projects a very authorative image of the wearer. BTW, if you are in China, Navy Blue may have a different meaning from the Navy Blue referred to in the West; there are Shanghainese clothiers who think Navy Blue is some kind of medium blue a little closer to steel blue, probably related to their idea of blue uniforms of the old Soviet navy.[​IMG]

Navy seems to be the best color for an interview suit, but does getting a Midnight Navy cross the line? People say that midnight Navy may even appear more black than black in certain lighting so does that defeat the purpose?

5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Senior member

Bring your own lighting to the interview.

6. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Midnight blue's appropriate for an after-6 suit or formal wear, but I've never known it to be appropriate for an interview. Navy blue, charcoal gray will be fine for an interview suit.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Midnight would not be my first choice for an interview, but it should be fine. However, J is right that midnight is not really available widely. To the best of my knowledge, midnight blue is only made by small companies who sell it in formal wear swatch books to bespoke tailors. Do any RTW makers use midnight blue for RTW suits?

8. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

I wore a midnight blue suit to a business school interview. I was waitlisted. So I guess they sort of liked the suit but sort of didn't. [​IMG]

9. RLiu818

RLiu818 Member

This is the suit I have

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID

It is so dark that people think it's black unless i tell them its navy.

btw i only got this suit because it was over 50% off at Macy's with a coupon I had so it came to a little over 300 bucks.

10. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

That suit is fine for an interview.
    +1.

I think HSM also makes an occasional suit in extremely dark blue. IIRC that was the one I helped my stepdad pick out for a wedding last year.

12. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

That suit is fine for an interview.

Which is to say, it's your fault if you don't get the job; can't blame it on the suit.

13. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Which is to say, it's your fault if you don't get the job; can't blame it on the suit.

Unless the suit gets the job.

14. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Unless the suit gets the job.

"Dear __, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to extend an offer to you personally. However, we do wish to hire your suit."