• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ie8

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's pretty nice. It's streamlined, fast, and the accelerators are a cool new feature that are actually useful. It also allows you to search from the address bar like Chrome does. Of special importance to many of you, I'm sure, it has InPrivate browsing (like chrome's incognito) for all of you that like teh **** but don't want your SOs to find out.

Anyway, I'm switching to it from Chrome. I'm sick of chrome's fairly persistent issues with php and other scripts. Chrome is great but it's just too buggy still. Just today I was navigating the cisco site to download some software and do some pretty standard things and the damned thing gave me errors so I had to open IE.

With Windows 7 coming up as well and receiving all kinds of positive reports, I think this is going to be good year for Microsoft.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's pretty nice. It's streamlined, fast, and the accelerators are a cool new feature that are actually useful. It also allows you to search from the address bar like Chrome does. Of special importance to many of you, I'm sure, it has InPrivate browsing (like chrome's incognito) for all of you that like teh **** but don't want your SOs to find out.

Anyway, I'm switching to it from Chrome. I'm sick of chrome's fairly persistent issues with php and other scripts. Chrome is great but it's just too buggy still. Just today I was navigating the cisco site to download some software and do some pretty standard things and the damned thing gave me errors so I had to open IE.

With Windows 7 coming up as well and receiving all kinds of positive reports, I think this is going to be good year for Microsoft.

Have you tried Safari for Windoz? I prefer it to Chrome

milosh

Reaction score
I like Chrome but I agree that it is still "not there yet". When something doesn't work in it I switch to Firefox.

I think they are both still faster than IE8. Especially while working with multiple tabs.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrome has the interface right, and there's no doubt everyone will copy it. Once FF does, I'll switch back. For now I do have issues with radio buttons and check boxes not appearing, and occasional crashes.

I'll continue to avoid IE as I'm sure as with previous versions, Microsoft has once again ignored agreed-upon code functionalities, and left a million security holes.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why not FF? Why ever IE over FF?

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I'll continue to avoid IE as I'm sure as with previous versions, Microsoft has once again ignored agreed-upon code functionalities, and left a million security holes.

This is not true. IE8 is a big step forward in standards compliance.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Out of curiosity, why not FF? Why ever IE over FF?

I think the incognito thing is pretty clutch (on Chrome, IE, Safari).. but I don't ever use the Firefox add-ons so perhaps I'm missing something there.

With that said, Safari FTW.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm the only one who uses my computer, and thus Incognito is useless. If people are really touting that as Chrome's premier advantage over FF, I will gladly stay with FF.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm the only one who uses my computer, and thus Incognito is useless. If people are really touting that as Chrome's premier advantage over FF, I will gladly stay with FF.

Well, Chrome is also less of a resource hog than FF BUT like another poster mentioned, it has serious issues reading some scripts and will randomly stop loading certain websites at which point a thorough cleaning and cache deleting are required. It's a pain **********.

FF is great--it's my backup whenever Safari has issues. But yeah.. no reason to go to IE! hehe

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genereally like microsoft products because of the way they all flow into each other pretty easily, but I think its pretty hands down how much better firefox is. That said, until firefox can render every page that I visit, every java script, etc... I will still have to switch between them.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've honestly never had a problem with any website on IE. I never liked FF enough to switch from IE. Chrome made me switch instantly, but the persistent issues got annoying and when I saw that IE8 RC1 had been released, i went for that and it's good.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, FF is my #1, while IE is my #2 preferred browser. I have tried Chrome and Safari and didn't like it.

Chrome - Too simplistic and buggy. No Adblocker extension when I first installed it, don't know if there's one now.

Safari for Windows - Slow and laggy. Nice to use when reading long documents online (the anti-aliasing clear-type stuff makes it easy on the eyes), other than that never use it.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
IE8 will be a good thing overall if it's able to force everyone to use W3C standards. The interop issues between IE6 and FF are one of the reasons why I'm no longer a web designer and under the care of a therapist.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
IE8 will be a good thing overall if it's able to force everyone to use W3C standards. The interop issues between IE6 and FF are one of the reasons why I'm no longer a web designer and under the care of a therapist.

Be thankful you don't do HTML-based emails.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is their big chance to win back browser share.... I haven't used IE in so long, but FF3 is such a steaming pile of shiat I might actually consider trying it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads