• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IDM-minimalist electronic appreciation?

ad_infinitum

Reaction score
Definitely not my day to day kind of music, but I enjoy Vector Lovers quite a bit:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

jefe

Reaction score
Check out the label Basic Channel or anything involving the head of that label, Maurizio, for some dub-minimal techno perfection.

grouper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
Check out the label Basic Channel or anything involving the head of that label, Maurizio, for some dub-minimal techno perfection.

Yeah, Basic Channel invented dub techno back in 1993. Really incredible stuff - they have 2 compilations out called BCD and BCD-2 (I think the track Quadrant Dub is my favorite). There's also Maurizio, which is actually just another alias of Basic Channel (BC and Maurizio are two guys, Moritz von Oswald and Mark Ernestus). They also ran Chain Reaction for a while, which released great dub techno work by Fluxion, Matrix, Vainqueur, Porter Ricks, and Hallucinator. My favorite on that label is their last release, "Ship-Scope" by Shinichi Atobe. They also had a side project called Main Street Records that focused more on traditional house music (at least at first) - here's a great one by Round One (they did five singles under 5 aliases, Round One through Round Five - the music gets dubbier and more abstract as the Round number increases) called "I'm Your Brother." It's based off "Caravan of Love" by The Isley Brothers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

They also run a dub/reggae label, Rhythm & Sound, which I'm not into as much but it's still cool stuff I guess..

If Basic Channel is too dry for you (which it is for most people, though I really enjoy it) then Deepchord and Echospace are two labels that are great for that kind of stuff. People like Quantec, Mikkel Metal, and Deepchord make dub techno that (for me) is a little samey but it's a good update of the Basic Channel sound that's a little more accessible and warmer.

Lizen

Reaction score
Minimalist I mean, I don't really know. Just ambient soundscapes. Anything with a little dub influence but not too over the top is good too. Any suggestions?

grouper

Reaction score
I think it's best not to throw yourself directly into drone and minimalist ambient as that stuff can sound the same after a while and it's pretty inaccessible to begin with. Sounds like you should start off with some Future Sound of London. It's ambient, sort of, and techno, sort of, and sample-based, sort of. More of a mixture of all three - it's sample based ambient, which means it's not just distorted notes or pure tones sustained over long periods of time. It means there's a clear structure the samples are laid out on (like you would lay out a hi hat, a kick, and a snare over a grid of 16th notes or whatever) but there are no beats, in a traditional techno sense. Instead, what propels the songs forward is a collage of guitar sounds, filtered piano, synthesizer, or sometimes just weird sounds. The album "Lifeforms" is a really good introduction to ambient music, if you're still trying to figure out the framework of ambient music and how it works. Of course, there's always Brian Eno's "Ambient 4: On Land," which was also hugely helpful for me in terms of understanding ambient music.

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grouper
The album "Lifeforms" is a really good introduction to ambient music, if you're still trying to figure out the framework of ambient music and how it works. Of course, there's always Brian Eno's "Ambient 4: On Land," which was also hugely helpful for me in terms of understanding ambient music.
Both fantastic albums. Also Eno's Music for Airports is just outstanding. +1 to Grouper's taste in music.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lizen
Minimalist I mean, I don't really know. Just ambient soundscapes. Anything with a little dub influence but not too over the top is good too. Any suggestions?
Bill Laswell does some ambient-dub, his ambient albums with Mick Harris and Tetsu Inoue are good as are his collaborations on Pete Namlooks "Dark Side of the Moog" series; Laswell is only on a couple volumes, it's mostly Namlook and Klaus Schulze, but Laswell appears on some of Namlook's other albums. Laswell's jazz work is awesome as well. Lustmord does some dub stuff occasionally, but his dark-ambient work is exceptional. Some of his earlier stuff shows more diversity, some people think he overuses the Tibetan horn in his later works. You might want to try the "Select Ambient Works" (both vols, but I prefer 1) by Aphex Twin as that might be what you're looking for. I listen to a lot of ambient and minimalist music so I could probably rattle off quite a few names especially if you wanted to get into different subgenres of ambient...

grouper

Reaction score
Thanks jefe!

Originally Posted by Aaron01
You might want to try the "Select Ambient Works" (both vols, but I prefer 1) by Aphex Twin as that might be what you're looking for.

I listen to a lot of ambient and minimalist music so I could probably rattle off quite a few names especially if you wanted to get into different subgenres of ambient...

I would actually caution against this if you're trying to get into ambient music... Selected Ambient Works 85-92, even though it is one of my favorite albums ever, the title is very misleading. The album is more of a compilation of "the lighter side" of Aphex Twin's work during that period (as opposed to I Care Because You Do), and it has a lot more techno aspects to it than does a traditional ambient record. Plus, I don't really find Selected Ambient Works II nearly as interesting.

All that stuff you mentioned about Pete Namlook (and anything involving the FAX label) is good stuff, though.

Alva Noto's "Xerrox Vol. 2" might be good for starters, too. There's a lot of blending of digital elements of music (His other projects are more focused on digital composition and minimalist, austere electronics) and warmer, analog forms, like string samples. It's a pretty good and cohesive listen.

Another artist that comes to mind when I think "accessible ambient" is Eluvium, who has branded himself quite successfully lately as an "emotional" ambient artist. This is sort of unfortunate as the origins of the genre lie in making music that can be focused on or regarded as background music with similar results - comparing Eluvium most recent material to Eno's early ambient work and "thinking music" is almost like comparing pop punk to first wave late 70s punk. That said, his early material is much better, notably "Talk Amongst The Trees."

Lizen

Reaction score
grouper, I have quite a lot of experience with ambient music. you don't have to worry about accessibility.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grouper
I would actually caution against this if you're trying to get into ambient music... Selected Ambient Works 85-92, even though it is one of my favorite albums ever, the title is very misleading. The album is more of a compilation of "the lighter side" of Aphex Twin's work during that period (as opposed to I Care Because You Do), and it has a lot more techno aspects to it than does a traditional ambient record. Plus, I don't really find Selected Ambient Works II nearly as interesting.
No it's not very ambient, but it's not a bad stepping stone and it's a great album either way.
All that stuff you mentioned about Pete Namlook (and anything involving the FAX label) is good stuff, though.
Yes, anything Namlook does is good, his music does span a wide spectrum though...
Alva Noto's "Xerrox Vol. 2" might be good for starters, too. There's a lot of blending of digital elements of music (His other projects are more focused on digital composition and minimalist, austere electronics) and warmer, analog forms, like string samples. It's a pretty good and cohesive listen. Another artist that comes to mind when I think "accessible ambient" is Eluvium, who has branded himself quite successfully lately as an "emotional" ambient artist. This is sort of unfortunate as the origins of the genre lie in making music that can be focused on or regarded as background music with similar results - comparing Eluvium most recent material to Eno's early ambient work and "thinking music" is almost like comparing pop punk to first wave late 70s punk. That said, his early material is much better, notably "Talk Amongst The Trees."
If we're talking "accessible ambient" ala Brian Eno et.al, then Michael Stearns ("Planetary Unfolding") is very good, others to look into would be Erik Wøllo ("Elevations" and "Stream of Thought" with Steve Roach) and Jon Jenkins ("Beyond City Light"). Klaus Schulze, who is one of my favorites, is also very good, a lot of his earlier works ("Irrlicht") featured some samples and tape loops so they're fairly melodic. If you like Klaus' earlier stuff check out Neptune Towers (by Fenriz of Darkthrone) For some lesser known, but IMO spectacular, is the Finnish group Jääportit ("Uumenissa"). Also, since I'm listening to it now, I'll suggest Atomine Elektrine ("Archimetrical Universe"), it is heading more towards some darker ambient, but it's still quite melodic with some minor trance influences, it's not nearly as dark as the composer's other projects.

grouper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lizen
grouper, I have quite a lot of experience with ambient music. you don't have to worry about accessibility.
Oh, never mind then. Have you listened to Terre Thaemlitz or Hazard?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics