• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IDK WHAT TO WEAR FOR HIKING!!!

juliaerichsen

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Me and my boyfriend are going for a weekend getaway for his birthday to a hotel in a desert in texas (Summit at Big Bend), and we are planning on doing lots of exploring and hiking, and I wanted to get him something to wear there!! Can someone help me with tips for what to get him? Appreciate lots :) I'll also leave the link to the hotel website so you can understand better what it is like there.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200w.webp

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he means that this looks awfully like a spam posting.

In case this isn't:
Dress for the weather and how serious your hiking is going to be. If you're not going more than a few miles and no inclement weather, then you'll have a lot of flexibility. Good footwear is important. General advice is to wear layers for comfort and avoid cotton if there is a chance you could get wet. If in doubt, ask the resort directly what they'd recommend.

juliaerichsen

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your answer, it really did help a lot! I've never done hiking, and he has only done it a couple of times but nothing serious, so I was very lost! I guess I'll get him a pair of hiking footwear :)

CMR16

Reaction score
I hike quite often in remote areas of places like Colorado and Tennessee, so here are a few pieces of advice for you:
  • Wear hiking boots, not tennis shoes. I've seen people do it but it isn't something I would recommend. Texas has a lot of critters, like snakes, that will bite you if provoked. Boots will give you more coverage, plus more support for your feet. Waterproofing and GoreTex are a plus but probably not necessary for that part of Texas.
  • Wear pants, not shorts. Again, it's just more protection from elements than anything else - especially if you plan to go off trails. As long as they are not lined with materials like fleece you will be okay.
  • Invest in a quality pack. A good pack can literally save your life. Spend a little more money for a quality backpack or hiking pack. REI has good packs, but if your budget is a little more robust Osprey makes good gear. The last thing you want is your pack to fall apart on you in the wilderness.
  • Bring trekking poles. There is a reason why a lot of people use these. When hiking up inclines poles help take some of the load off of your knees while providing stability.
There are ways of building out your hiking spread without breaking the bank. Never skimp on footwear or your articles of clothing, but you can get some good deals on hiking packs and poles. You do not need to spring for Black Diamond poles at roughly $200/set.

AWV

Reaction score
I recently hiked Old Rag (VA) and would highly recommend a lightweight insulated jacket, quality hiking boots, and high quality, moisture absorbent hiking socks. The latter is probably the more underrated but essential garment. Check out REI and Huckberry.

rjc149

Reaction score
Not sure this is really a style-related inquiry, since style isn't much of a concern when hiking. Function should be the goal.

I've never been desert hiking, but it sounds to me like you're brand-new to this and shouldn't be going too hard out there. My primary concern would be to bring a lot of water, a water filtration system, and a map or GPS to ensure you will not get lost and stuck in a bad situation. If you're relying on your cell phone for navigation, bring a battery pack.

A wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and sunblock are also musts.

I would recommend not wearing t-shirts or shorts, even if it's hot out. You want to have protection against the sun. Synthetic materials are the best, since they will not retain moisture (sweat) which can be dangerous in desert environments, where temperatures plummet in the evening.

Going on easy trails, you'd probably be fine wearing sneakers or some other breathable footwear.

If you're planning on taking tons of cute selfies for Instagram, you can dress for the camera -- just don't venture too far from the car. Again, you don't want to end up in a bad situation.

argiris_k

Reaction score
+1 for the hiking socks and a good pair of hiking waterproof boots. I like Salomon but there are a lot of brands cheaper and more expensive . The boots must be one size bigger , the foot must have air in the boot . I would suggest also a 3 in 1 waterproof jacket and a good backpack like Osprey with capacity 40 Lt to 60 Lt. . I don't know if the weather is rainy in Texas and what the temperatures are this season, but because there is a high possibility that you will like it and want to go hiking other times in the future in places with different climates and temperatures, I suggest the equipment to be waterproof and the jacket should be 3 in 1. Sorry for my bad English.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads