• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idiot's Guide to Getting Big (or: how to stop s***ting up this forum, skinny whiners)

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I apologize in advance for whining......but god, it's really ******* hard and expensive to eat a lot. I think lifting is easier than eating for me.

Same here. The training is definitely easier than the eating. Especially on training days, it's just so hard to get any food down.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Same here. The training is definitely easier than the eating. Especially on training days, it's just so hard to get any food down.
I think the same.
Breakfast? No time and no hunger, so I skip it often even I shouldn't
Lunch? Canteen food is usually crap. Heavy on carbohydrates and sauces that scream "fat"
Dinner is the part that works, but when I hit the gym after work, dinner is at 10 or 11 pm.

But I'm trying. You don't have to be perfect but give your best.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i think there was a good cheap food thread before, jekyl should refer to it.

post a link,

this a good post btw

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks spending so much on food
frown.gif
You can go cheap by eating mostly tuna and brown rice, which is fairly cheap - as soon as you start with the fruit and steak and whatnot it adds up in a hurry. It's so worth it though.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eggs, grits, and whole chickens.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
grocery stores seem to always have sales on meat these days. just got 9lbs of sirloin for $17.50

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Your metabolism isn't crippling you - your weak mind, weak discipline, and tendency to overthink things are.

This is a good post and I'm considering reading it once a day for the right attitude. Especially the anecdote guy about stagnating gains with diet changes.

That said, it's not so much what I've quoted. A big part of the problem is that 'normal' non-weight lifting people are inundated daily with really bad advice. Eating the way you have outlined is NOT intuitive, is NOT championed on WebMD, Yahoo / Google news, CNN, MSNBC etc, which are all concerned and worried about the weight epidemic in America, not skinnies trying to gain.

Trying to erase a decade of nutritional advice is not easy and trying to change 33 yr old eating habits aren't, either.

With a little editing and formatting, you could have a sticky.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Is it seriously that expensive? I get it if you are eating filet mignons every night with artichokes.

But really, buy chicken breast. 1.5 pounds should be more than enough protein for three meals (8 ounces of meat per meal) and you are basically looking at 3 bucks for a days worth of meat. Add in some cheap as brown rice or long grain (I am asian, I hate brown rice), and you are basically adding .25 cents at most per day if you buy it at costco. Add in veggies, you can get the big ass bags of frozen veggies, but i like mine freash. A pound of bok choy is only .69 cents and a head of cabbage is the same price. Really, these three meals alone come out to maybe 4-5 bucks at most. Add in oatmeal (buy huge as 10 pound bag at costco for 6 dollars) and it usually last two months equals 10 cents per day and two or three eggs. Congrats you just had a very nutritional breakfast for .50 cents. Add in a banana/apple for 25 cents, and 25 grams of almonds = 25 cents. There is your snack for 50 cents. Altogether there is a whole days worth of food, for 6 or 7 dollars at most.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
normal non-weight lifting people should kill themselves

Originally Posted by db_ggmm
This is a good post and I'm considering reading it once a day for the right attitude. Especially the anecdote guy about stagnating gains with diet changes.

That said, it's not so much what I've quoted. A big part of the problem is that 'normal' non-weight lifting people are inundated daily with really bad advice. Eating the way you have outlined is NOT intuitive, is NOT championed on WebMD, Yahoo / Google news, CNN, MSNBC etc, which are all concerned and worried about the weight epidemic in America, not skinnies trying to gain.

Trying to erase a decade of nutritional advice is not easy and trying to change 33 yr old eating habits aren't, either.

With a little editing and formatting, you could have a sticky.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm doing starting strength right now. It's working really well. I'm not drinking milk though...just eating a lot. I've actually been eating a little too much as my gut and ass have gotten a little fat. I just bought some bigger clothes though so I'm cool with it.

My plan is to keep at it until February or so and then try Crossfit for a while. That should lean me out for the Spring & Summer. Then I'll go back to Starting Strength for the Fall/Winter. That's my plan right now anyway..

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

hahaha, fact

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll add this to my sig when I get back from grinding a few hippies
stirpot.gif

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
I'm doing starting strength right now. It's working really well. I'm not drinking milk though...just eating a lot. I've actually been eating a little too much as my gut and ass have gotten a little fat. I just bought some bigger clothes though so I'm cool with it. My plan is to keep at it until February or so and then try Crossfit for a while. That should lean me out for the Spring & Summer. Then I'll go back to Starting Strength for the Fall/Winter. That's my plan right now anyway..
Thanks for bringing up Crossfit - its a good way to improve your general level of conditioning, but make sure it fits with your fitness goals. eg - if you wanna get lean and mean, crossfit is good but if you want to keep on adding on size and strength, a more regular weightlifting program might be your best bet. A lot of people like to suck Crossfit dick because its the next greatest thing - don't get me wrong, its cool, but its not going to make you big like a regular lifting program will. As long as its what you want..
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
This is a good post and I'm considering reading it once a day for the right attitude. Especially the anecdote guy about stagnating gains with diet changes. That said, it's not so much what I've quoted. A big part of the problem is that 'normal' non-weight lifting people are inundated daily with really bad advice. Eating the way you have outlined is NOT intuitive, is NOT championed on WebMD, Yahoo / Google news, CNN, MSNBC etc, which are all concerned and worried about the weight epidemic in America, not skinnies trying to gain. Trying to erase a decade of nutritional advice is not easy and trying to change 33 yr old eating habits aren't, either. With a little editing and formatting, you could have a sticky.
It is hard to change your eating habits, but once you "get" portion control and what macronutrients you are taking in, its a lot easier to eat properly. Every time you eat, quantify how much of what macronutrient you're taking in. You don't really realize how much crap you eat until you figure it out. Like right now, I just cheated and ate one of those Casa di Mama oven pizzas. Damn good, but it has very little protein in relation to the ridiculous amount of ****** simple carbs. That, and I ate it right before bed. To some kid who thinks "just eat lots and lift rarrggh" he'll probably think something like this is good, because its got cheese and some meat on it, but its actually pretty ******* bad for you. For example, after watching macros religiously I now know about how much 2 cups of rice looks like, so I don't have to freak out when I don't have a measuring cup to count out my carbs. Now I can go out to the market and grab lunch, and instead of eating a meal thats unbalanced, I know that if I at least pay attention to the portions and what I'm taking in, I'll be fine. So instead of getting a combo deal or whatever, I'll get a big piece of chicken from one place, and a couple whole-grain cheese sandwiches from another - bang, got my protein, carbs and fat in the amounts I need. It starts out being very precise and frustrating but as you learn more about how to eat it becomes a lot easier.
word
fistbump.gif

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
6. Drink water. At least 2-4 litres a day.

Please forgive my complete ignorance on the subject, but this made me curious. Why should you drink so much water?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads