• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idiot With a Suit Selling Question

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Quick and Dirty: How much can I reasonably ask for a $620 unworn/NWOT Brooks Brothers 346 MTM suit? It's a 38S that basically fits like a 36, about 30/30 pant with pleats but no cuff, Charcoal color, 98% wool/2% lastol. Altered to give a decent slightly slimmer shape to a sack suit. Ok, I wore the pants out once. But just the pants, just once. Pictures and measurements to follow tomorrow.

Why I'm an Idiot: Here is background for your entertainment. This was the first suit I ever bought and like most mere mortals had done almost no research - Brooks Brothers would know, right? They have a MTM program and wanted a decent suit so I go in expecting a decent cut for my 5'7" slim frame.

They put a 38S on me. The ****** is clearly way too big for me. The shoulders jut out past mine, I might be able to fit someone else in the thing, sleeves laughably long -- but hey, the length was perfect! In this mall there is a tailor literally across the hall so we go to him to assess the situation. He says it's fine in the shoulders. BB says everything can be tailored to fit perfectly but I'd have to fix most of it on my own since the MTM procedure can take off only so much.

Quick repeat: BB said a 38 shoulder will fit a 34-35 shoulder person. The tailor said it would fit. I agreed to go to this tailor to fix what the MTM procedure could not do.

Long story short, after $100 in alterations, the suit is passably wearable but now for me, totally unacceptable. I've spent 4 months doing research on suiting, bought another at a fraction of the price, and never suffered the displeasure of wearing the BB suit. Can I even hope to salvage any sort of deal that doesn't require lube?

Damn. Thick as Thieves, here I come.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to start the bidding high, I'd think. Pick a minimum acceptable price and list it at that. I don't imagine you'll get a lot out of it, but maybe there's someone looking for that fit. If so, he might be willing to pay for it. But I'd be shocked if you got $150 for it. Brooks doesn't fare well on eBay in general, and the alterations/wear are going to drive people away.

Alternatively, you might try listing it in the buying and selling forum. We have a lot of smaller guys here.

Sorry for your ordeal, and good luck with the sale.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I may be interested in it, sounds like it would fit me well.

I really have no idea what a fair value would be for it, but if anybody else who follows the clothing sales board a bit more can chime in, and the price is right, you might have a sale.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold on one second, a couple of suggestions. First, Brooks has a guarantee that they stand behind their clothing. I would start with
contacting that stores manager, if that doesn't work then try their online support. Don't be lude or rude in your complaint, state the facts cleanly because NOTHING excuses a sales person pitching a wrongly sized suit. My only worry is that you had it altered outside
of a Brooks, which by the way is just STRANGE. That is the whole point of MTM.

Next is this from a 346 or Brooks MTM ? I was under the impression
the 346's didn't do MTM.

I doubt you will get $620 on ebay for that suit since much better
items have gone for much less.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Hold on one second, a couple of suggestions....
Yeah that guarantee is crap. I contacted the online support, was very courteous in my message, and just got the rote "we have forwarded your message to blah blah blah." I suppose I will try calling in tomorrow just to see what I can do, but me having altered it can't help. And what exactly will I say? Really it's kind of a case of Caveat Emptor, but it is worth a shot.
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I really have no idea what a fair value would be for it, but if anybody else who follows the clothing sales board a bit more can chime in, and the price is right, you might have a sale.
Without sounding lame, I'm glad to hear an honest buyer. I'm willing to concede to the wisdom of the board - though if it's really low I'll be straight up with you and just try to find another option.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd be shocked if you got $150 for it. Brooks doesn't fare well on eBay in general, and the alterations/wear are going to drive people away.
+1.

For your reference, a few Brooks Brothers suits recently listed for sale on SF
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ghlight=brooks

The 2nd is mainline Brooks, 3rd a Golden Fleece suit, both of which (especially the latter) belong to BB higher-end lines.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just fyi - i bought a 2006 BB suit on ebay, about 2 hours ago, for $176 shipped. i was 1 of 2 bidders. there's your comparison.

s4usea

Reaction score
In '98 before I knew how to buy a suit I ordered a blue/pin 2-button cashmere-wool suit at one of Brook's custom events.

I hardly ever wore it because the fabric weight was too heavy for DC.

I sold it on eBay last November. It was the second time I put it up. The first time I put a reserve on it and a "buy it now" price of $200. Nobody bid on it. The second time I started it off at $35 with no reserve. It went for $237. Go figure.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Yeah that guarantee is crap. I contacted the online support, was very courteous in my message, and just got the rote "we have forwarded your message to blah blah blah."

Did you ask the manager at the store ? PM me and I will give you some direct emails if that still fails. I have to say that if you bought this at a 346 I do notice them to be a lot more mercenary than the main stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads