• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Identifying shell cordovan

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I can't tell. The creases make me think regular leather but the rolls, dimple around the eyelets and color 8 similarity make me think cordovan. They're peal & co. Anyone?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they're shell, not completely sure though.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Creasing patterns, plus the coloring in the last pic, plus the way the material "folds over" a tiny bit at the sides of the shoe, leads me to conclude shell. I agree that the micro-creasing seemingly evident in the first pic could seem calf-like. But it's not as prominent or as webbed as calf micro-creasing would be. So I am about as certain as I can be, given the imperfect evidence, that these are shell.

The calls we need to make in threads like these are always hard to determine, because so many of shell cordovan's idiosyncrasies need to be seen or felt in person. The look, feel, heft, and even smell of shell cordovan is hard to determine definitively in a handful of web pics.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Made in England Ralph Lauren monkstraps that look very similar (in regards to creasing) and my shoes are corrected grain. They have that shell ripple with micro-creases.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
I'm sticking to my guns on this. CG would have more color fading at the creases and wouldn't support such a variegated color pattern in general. All the CG I've ever seen (though I will admit it hasn't been all that much) has been characterized by a very uniform, bland color with no patina or variegation except for fading at the creases. The heels and upper vamp of these shoes, on the other hand, look very shell-like to me.

Tough to say definitively, but I would still say shell.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'm sticking to my guns on this. CG would have more color fading at the creases and wouldn't support such a variegated color pattern in general. All the CG I've ever seen (though I will admit it hasn't been all that much) has been characterized by a very uniform, bland color with no patina or variegation except for fading at the creases. The heels and upper vamp of these shoes, on the other hand, look very shell-like to me.

Tough to say definitively, but I would still say shell.

I've never seen shell cordovan with fine wrinkles in between the larger creases. There's no doubt that this is CG. And depending on how the CG is finished, varying degrees of coloration/patination could be applied by the leather producer. C&J's cavalry calf is a good example of patinated CG. Not all CG is uniform; don't be fooled by Church's polish binder.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 87 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 31.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 144 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 58 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%