• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identify these English-made shoes

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the maker of these shoes by the nail pattern or other identifying marks? I don't have too much information other than that these shoes are made in England. The most noteworthy thing about the pattern appears to be the clusters of three nails. I've seen some Edward Greens with similarly clustered nails, but the sole and rest of the heel just don't seem to be a match. It definitely doesn't appear to be C&J, Grenson, or Alfred Sargent. Any thoughts?

Here's an example of an Edward Green that I've seen which seems to have a similar nail pattern.

p1020368ba2.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Post pics of the writing inside the heel.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would, but that's all I have right now. I realize it would be a lot easier with some other identifying marks. I just don't have the actual shoes. Just that picture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does look awfully similar to EG

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FWIW, the EG you posted is a pic I took on my Northampton tour as an example of a paleo-EG shoe. It was made pre 1982 when John Hlustick took over the company. So it's not likely that your shoes will match it, unless by some chance they are very old.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I would, but that's all I have right now. I realize it would be a lot easier with some other identifying marks. I just don't have the actual shoes. Just that picture.
Not even a picture of the upper? does that imply you don't know what the thing looks like?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
FWIW, the EG you posted is a pic I took on my Northampton tour as an example of a paleo-EG shoe. It was made pre 1982 when John Hlustick took over the company. So it's not likely that your shoes will match it, unless by some chance they are very old.

There actually is some chance that they are very old. I came across two pairs of new old stock loafers from New & Lingwood on ebay. It was my understanding that Edward Green either did or still does make some shoes for N&L. I bought both pairs for a whopping total of $60. The seller had very little information about the shoes other than that they had been sitting brand new and unworn in her father's closet for a number of years. How many years she did not know.

Originally Posted by Manton
Post pics of the writing inside the heel.

The seller could not provide a picture of the writing. However, she described the numbers written on each as:

and

The shoes are a size 7. I'm guessing the 184 refers to the last, which is an Edward Green loafer last. That seems to be the strongest evidence that these are made by Edward Green.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
Not even a picture of the upper? does that imply you don't know what the thing looks like?

Here are the crappy pictures from the auction. I'll provide more once I receive them.

The bottom pair resembles the EG Belgravia; although, I can't tell if lace is braided, like the Belgravia. The top pair looks a little different. Someone who is more familiar with EG may be able to tell something from the aprons of these shoes as well.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that the shoes in the top picture look awfully similar to the older Brooks Brothers Peal models, some of which were EG I believe(?).

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
I've also seen Brooks Brothers shoes that look like these. Have you tried bringing the picture into a store?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
I've also seen Brooks Brothers shoes that look like these. Have you tried bringing the picture into a store?

Huh?

There are probably countless stores that sell shoes that look like these. BB won't have any idea. Why would a BB salesman know where a pair of old N&L shoes were made? I can guarantee you I am much more informed about the shoes BB sells than their salesmen are. I once had a BB salesman tell me a pair of Made in Italy shoes were made by Alden.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree about the 184. EG it is I say.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Agree. I'd say that's pretty close to proof.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should be receiving both pairs in about a week. I'll post more pics after they arrive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads