Identify hat type

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by gb1986, May 8, 2016.

1. gb1986

gb1986 New Member

Hi everyone,

Hopefully, this is the right place to post this request. I was just wondering if anybody could identify
    what type of hat this is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

It is a flat-crown, flat-brim hat. I don't know the exact terminology, but this style was very popular in the 19th century. Just for fun, I had one made up for me, but I thought I looked kind of silly in it and relegated it to service as a rain hat.

3. Clive Black

Clive Black Member

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I thought a "porkpie" in the modern usage had a narrower brim, higher crown and usually softer construction than the hats in the OP's posts.

5. Clive Black

Clive Black Member

From the cursory research that I have done, there is some variation in what qualifies as a "pork-pie hat", depending on the time period.

I have included a screen shot from the ad which shows the hat from a different angle. The crown tip ( a.k.a. the top) of the hat is not completely flat. There is a crease along the edge. It is the presence of the crease that distinguishes it as a pork-pie hat. The pic posted by the OP is a still from the Stella Artois "Be Legacy" ad campaign. The short film/advert. is set in the early 1700's. I can only assume that the costumer attempted to dress the cast in a historically accurate attire as possible.

There is conflicting information about when this style of hat first became known as a pork-pie hat. According to an online etymology website, there is documentation of the existence of pork pie, the food, as early as 1732. The earliest documentation of the term pork-pie hat was in 1855.

.[​IMG]
    Also, here is a picture of a pork pie, courtesy of wikipedia. See the vague resemblance?

Cheers,

Clive