1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Identify hat type

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by gb1986, May 8, 2016.

1. gb1986

gb1986 New Member

Hi everyone,

Hopefully, this is the right place to post this request. I was just wondering if anybody could identify
    what type of hat this is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

It is a flat-crown, flat-brim hat. I don't know the exact terminology, but this style was very popular in the 19th century. Just for fun, I had one made up for me, but I thought I looked kind of silly in it and relegated it to service as a rain hat.

3. Clive Black

Clive Black Member

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I thought a "porkpie" in the modern usage had a narrower brim, higher crown and usually softer construction than the hats in the OP's posts.

5. Clive Black

Clive Black Member

From the cursory research that I have done, there is some variation in what qualifies as a "pork-pie hat", depending on the time period.

I have included a screen shot from the ad which shows the hat from a different angle. The crown tip ( a.k.a. the top) of the hat is not completely flat. There is a crease along the edge. It is the presence of the crease that distinguishes it as a pork-pie hat. The pic posted by the OP is a still from the Stella Artois "Be Legacy" ad campaign. The short film/advert. is set in the early 1700's. I can only assume that the costumer attempted to dress the cast in a historically accurate attire as possible.

There is conflicting information about when this style of hat first became known as a pork-pie hat. According to an online etymology website, there is documentation of the existence of pork pie, the food, as early as 1732. The earliest documentation of the term pork-pie hat was in 1855.

.[​IMG]
    Also, here is a picture of a pork pie, courtesy of wikipedia. See the vague resemblance?

Cheers,

Clive