• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for what to wear/do?

kalra2411

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow I need to meet with some of the international managers, now the problem is that it will be on site, at a steel mill. Therefore, I have advised participants at the meeting that a full suit is not required.

However, as my ignorance would have it, I have failed to think what would be appropriate attire. You see the thing is, some may turn up in work wear, whereas others may turn up in a dress shirt and trousers, and others in jeans.

It is now too late to advise a dress code, as the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning, in the west (of England) and I will be taking a flight from London City Airport to a small regional airport in the area. Moreover, as many international employees will be attending - it is now impossible to inform them, as the local time is 12.46 am.

I personally will be wearing a black and white dress shirt, and black trousers. However, I am unsure what others will be wearing. Thus, I need suggestions as to what you think the employees will wear.

In addition, do you think I should dress differently?

I would not like to cause embarrassment to any employee, e.g. one who turns up in jeans, when everyone else is wearing semi-formal wears, as it would indeed be my fault, due to a lack of given information.

Many thanks,

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have a company mascot, you could surprise everyone and come dressed in the mascot costume.

i guess maybe that's not too helpful.

think of it this way: the leaders who try to be a 'man of the people' typically end up with that tactic backfiring on them. unless they have a known history of climbing from the bottom up, in which case they can play that card.

so, if you're a prince, don't dress like a pauper. it's condescending. you don't want them to think you're slumming when you visit. just be who you are.

but you knew that already...

check out 'The 48 Laws of Power' by ...Robert Greene (i think). lots of good stuff in there, mostly not about clothes.

/andrew - future owner of the world (or so it says in my contract)

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After working in Steel your whole life, I'm sure that you have been in this type of this situation before. What did you do last time? Surely this can't be the first time you meet with employees in your steel mill.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Faustian, I think you misunderstood; I will wear what I have said - unless anyone is overtly against that here.

Mike, note the problems in this specific scenario, I have only said that a suit is not needed, think how many things that could mean, some may even take it as, turn up in your pajamas, in the past, there have only ever been 2 formal meetings on site; and previously we had been dressed in suits, and this was impractical. As you may be able to perceive it is very rare that a meeting takes place outside of a board room, especially one involving myself, as I do not particularly need to attend many site meetings myself.

kalra2411

Reaction score
think of it this way: the leaders who try to be a 'man of the people' typically end up with that tactic backfiring on them. unless they have a known history of climbing from the bottom up, in which case they can play that card.

What I am trying to say is that there may not be uniformity in the dress.

I will not be dressed worse than the employees under any circumstances. As the quality and design of my attire will always be superior, be it casual or formal. For example, someone may turn up in a suit from H&M, and I may be wearing a Kiton dress shirt, with no suit or tie, now who is better dressed? (obviously fit and design being good are assumed here)

TomW

Reaction score
What exactly is the problem? If everyone is comfortable there should be no issue as you stated suits were not required. I find the fact that you even worry about such a thing as more than a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for the best laugh all day.

kalra2411

Reaction score
What exactly is the problem? If everyone is comfortable there should be no issue as you stated suits were not required. I find the fact that you even worry about such a thing as more than a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for the best laugh all day.
Yes, but in my opinion I feel that semi-formal attire is still needed, e.g. a shirt and trousers.

However, I feel that may not have been portrayed. (This is so to say; the problem)

Comfort is certainly not an issue..

Comfort is never an issue..

I cannot understand what you mean by that?

Perhaps you meant practical, as a suit is impratical on site.

Why do I worry; because several out-of-house reps. will attend the meeting, thus a certain image must be portrayed.

In addition, the embaressment of an employee as a result of my lack of given information, will, at worst lead to a reduced quaity of work ethic in my company, which is certainly not desired.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After working in Steel your whole life, I'm sure that you have been in this type of this situation before. What did you do last time? Surely this can't be the first time you meet with employees in your steel mill.
Ar700-21531.jpg
Faustian... This buds for you... I see your Blue pant post and raise you... Been a long day. JJF

kalra2411

Reaction score
Good idea FIH, but I think maybe a Crown would be better.

But really brains (and perhaps more so, an understanding of what is said) and maturity, is severly lacking here.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the situation basically takes care of itself -- because it is a work site, all rules go straight out the window. Thus, if an employee has dressed "too far down" there is a ready made excuse (an unspoken one) on the part of both the employee himself and the third-party observer, viz. "he didn't want to get his good clothes dirty." So, I don't think anyone will be uncomfortable if they are over or underdressed.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I think the situation basically takes care of itself -- because it is a work site, all rules go straight out the window.  Thus, if an employee has dressed "too far down" there is a ready made excuse (an unspoken one) on the part of both the employee himself and the third-party observer, viz. "he didn't want to get his good clothes dirty."  So, I don't think anyone will be uncomfortable if they are over or underdressed.
Thank You .

A reply which made sense, and related to the original question.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a moot court champion in law school -- I was trained to answer the question posed.
smile.gif

TomW

Reaction score
One just took for granted that you hired reasonably intelligent individuals who would dress appropriately for the workplace and the fact that you were so concerned showed that you were worried that you had made several hiring mistakes.

I remain amused.

kalra2411

Reaction score
One just took for granted that you hired reasonably intelligent individuals who would dress appropriately for the workplace and the fact that you were so concerned showed that you were worried that you had made several hiring mistakes.

I remain amused.
I do not hire myself, that is of course the HRM Department's issue.

I doubt that dressing aptly is a major factor in the hire process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads