• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for what to wear/do?

TomW

Reaction score
If you don't ever hire, and you doubt that the ability to dress in a manner appropriate for the workplace is seriously evaluated - if only on a subconcious level - by those that do hire, I am amazed that the people in your employ manage to get up, get dressed and get to work on a daily basis. For someone so critical of the masses, and so willing to detail every Pound Sterling spent on his own wardrobe, noting the maker, shop purchased from, and how superior your own selections are, you certainly don't exhibit the confidence one would expect from one in your rarified circles.

The amusement continues

kalra2411

Reaction score
If you don't ever hire, and you doubt that the ability to dress in a manner appropriate for the workplace is seriously evaluated - if only on a subconcious level - by those that do hire, I am amazed that the people in your employ manage to get up, get dressed and get to work on a daily basis. For someone so critical of the masses, and so willing to detail every Pound Sterling spent on his own wardrobe, noting the maker, shop purchased from, and how superior your own selections are, you certainly don't exhibit the confidence one would expect from one in your rarified circles.

The amusement continues
Clearly, I ought to hire you then, as you are the pre-eminent employee.

You obviously have no experience in employing people, or management of staff, if it were the case that all staff were competent in all aspects, where would the competition for job places be. Your point of view makes no sense. You imply that all workers are fully competent, and yet more so, they are able to read my mind, for some reason. I cannot understand how an employee could possibly know what they are expected to wear. Your point is nonsensical, if they knew everything; would not they be in my shoes?

Let me reiterate the situation, as for some reason you have not take into account the given situation.

1. We will be going to a steel mill, yes that is right, a mill, for the metal called steel, yes well done, you can see, steel, yes.

2. I will be meeting the participants. Yes meet, it means that I will see them, yes with my eyes, and yes I will then tell then what they are doing in the day, note, I will tell them, they will not tell me. Note that if they were telling me things would not work, note that if they told me, they would decide what they wore. That is wrong. I tell them what to wear and they listen.

3. We will go around the mill with a team of inspectors, and they will advise us of problems, and advice to take from this mill, to incorporate into our overseas mills.

4. Thus there will be out-of-house people present, such as financers, and such the like.

5. So the impression will need to be made.

6. However, of due course, the impression of these people will certainly not be based upon what is worn, as Johnny pointed out.

7. There will then be Lunch at a nearby establishment, for which I will change, and the numbers (of people) will be reduced.

8. We shall conclude back in London at 8 PM, whereby there will be dinner afterwards.

bryce330

Reaction score
Kalra2411 - are you still keeping up this ridiculous charade?  If you were really who you claim to be, you would have no doubt been to similar meetings hundreds, if not thousands of times and you would already have a pretty good idea of what to wear.  

Nevertheless, I will play along:  you are one of the richest men in the world.  Your employees expect you to dress like one of the richest men in the world.  Nobody will be offended if you wear a $10,000 Kiton MTM suit.  However, people might well be put off if you show up in "work clothes" to try to demonstrate some kind of solidarity with your workers.

Personally, I think it's a lot more likely that you'll be interviewing for a job at McDonald's tomorrow than meeting with "international managers," but there you go.

TomW

Reaction score
Clearly, I ought to hire you then, as you are the pre-eminent employee.

You should, but you can't, as there is not a chance in this lifetime that I would accept employment from you.

You obviously have no experience in employing people, or management of staff, if it were the case that all staff were competent in all aspects, where would the competition for job places be. Your point of view makes no sense. You imply that all workers are fully competent, and yet more so, they are able to read my mind, for some reason. I cannot understand how an employee could possibly know what they are expected to wear. Your point is nonsensical, if they knew everything; would not they be in my shoes?

I do employ and manage a rather large staff. I manage a staff of 20 directly, who, in turn, manage just over 500 individuals. I have never implied, nor stated that all employees are equally competent, but I don't hire the incompetent (and should I make that error, I will either manage them up to expectation or manage them out of the company). I do set expectations for my staff and expect them to deliver on those expectations. Micro-management of people - as you clearly state you perform - is the least efficient of all management styles and highly unproductive. If your staff is not able to dress themselves, they are not able to perform the function for which they were employed.

Your statements are unsupportable and irrational - as are most of your postings - and clearly not from a successful captain of industry. I know, I directly report to the Chairman of a Forture 100 company, and work with senior executives all day long. None would last a day with your perspective and smug arrogance.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Khakis, white or light blue shirt, open collar, navy blazer, brown Italian loafers and brown alligator belt. If you want to take it a step more casual, wear a polo underneath the jacket instead of the shirt. If you want to add some flair, add a colorful pocket square.

Montecristo

kalra2411

Reaction score
I was not asking what I should wear, please reffer back to the original post Bryce and Montecristo.

bryce330

Reaction score
I was not asking what I should wear, please reffer back to the original post Bryce and Montecristo.
The name of the thread is "ideas for what to wear/do." Your first post also asks "do you think I should dress differently?"

kalra2411

Reaction score
Micro-management of people - as you clearly state you perform

Correct, as is the fact that I am not a HRM Department. You would thus realise, that the Chairman/CEO/President does not manage people.

I have never implied, nor stated that all employees are equally competent

See below:

For someone so critical of the masses

I do employ and manage a rather large staff. I manage a staff of 20 directly, who, in turn, manage just over 500 individuals. I have never implied, nor stated that all employees are equally competent, but I don't hire the incompetent (and should I make that error, I will either manage them up to expectation or manage them out of the company). I do set expectations for my staff and expect them to deliver on those expectations. Micro-management of people - as you clearly state you perform - is the least efficient of all management styles and highly unproductive. If your staff is not able to dress themselves, they are not able to perform the function for which they were employed.

Your statements are unsupportable and irrational - as are most of your postings - and clearly not from a successful captain of industry. I know, I directly report to the Chairman of a Forture 100 company, and work with senior executives all day long. None would last a day with your perspective and smug arrogance.

"Does this warrant a response" I ask my wife.

"Why do you talk to a group of people on the internet"

"To see what the reaction is"

"Well, as you can see it is not good, leave it now, and sleep for a few hours, or else you will be sleeping tomorrow"

"Yeah yeah, just tell me first, what should I say to this person"

"Tell him he is a crazy little man, earning a pittace"

"A little harsh would you not say"

"By no means, who is this person to insult you"

"I think I will leave him now, in his little dream world, where 20 people is a lot of people to have under you, and by talking to rich people, he thinks he becomes one"

kalra2411

Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 05 Aug. 2004, 9:16) I was not asking what I should wear, please reffer back to the original post Bryce and Montecristo.
The name of the thread is "ideas for what to wear/do." Â Your first post also asks "do you think I should dress differently?"
Perhaps my mistake then, but please note, look to the original post and not the title, thanks.

TomW

Reaction score
Correct, as is the fact that I am not a HRM Department. You would thus realise, that the Chairman/CEO/President does not manage people.

As I am managed by the Chairman, as is the remainder of his staff, your statement is patently false

See below:

empty, as is your posturing

"Does this warrant a response" I ask my wife.

"Why do you talk to a group of people on the internet"

"To see what the reaction is"

"Well, as you can see it is not good, leave it now, and sleep for a few hours, or else you will be sleeping tomorrow"

"Yeah yeah, just tell me first, what should I say to this person"

"Tell him he is a crazy little man, earning a pittace"

"A little harsh would you not say"

"By no means, who is this person to insult you"

"I think I will leave him now, in his little dream world, where 20 people is a lot of people to have under you, and by talking to rich people, he thinks he becomes one"

If you were capable of understanding the written word, at even a rudimentary level, you would see that I manage a group of 500+ through the 20 who report directly to me.

BTW - you misspelled pittance. And you got exactly the response you requested, perhaps you did not ask the question you intended. And if I believed there was the remotest chance that you are indeed who you claim to be, I'd be even more amused. As it is, I just find it helps relax me to so easily provoke the expected bluster from you and stir up your little fantasy existence.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Correction then, manage people as a prime objective.

The rest, again you are talking nonsense.

kalra2411

Reaction score

I know of people who run massive comanies, case in hand Ambanis, that simply yell at their employees on the production line. What in the world ever made you think that the type of managment (in human resources terms) leads to a sucessful company, it is one thing, and one thing only, the idea, the marketing, and the grastoniogrphy of the product that determins sucess. Never be mistaken. Moreover, the day that somebody who reports to me, dares to say that they have even the slighest amount of ability as I do, they can be sure that they will be struck off. May I please ask you to tell the owner of the company, which you work for what you just told me.

you certainly don't exhibit the confidence one would expect from one in your rarified circles

But yet...

None would last a day with your perspective and smug arrogance.

Q. Do you make any sense

A. To a donkey, yes, to a book, yes, to a working-class citizen, perhaps. To anyone above such, never.

kalra2411

Reaction score
f you were capable of understanding the written word, at even a rudimentary level, you would see that I manage a group of 500+ through the 20 who report directly to me.

Of course I was putting you down. Perhaps I need not begin on the level of your understanding, as even from your first comment, there was no relevance to the post.

TomW

Reaction score
Ah, this is indeed fun. You become more irrational by the post.
thumbs-up.gif
I know of people who run massive comanies, case in hand Ambanis, that simply yell at their employees on the production line. What in the world ever made you think that the type of managment (in human resources terms) leads to a sucessful company, it is one thing, and one thing only, the idea, the marketing, and the grastoniogrphy of the product that determins sucess. Never be mistaken.
confused.gif
- the ravings of a man lost in his own delusions. Where has anyone made such an assumption? Every single statement you make supports the conclusion that you are a very low level employee in a large company - perhaps janitorial or building security - with delusions of someday moving up, and very frustrated by the fact that you are passed up by the incompetents who supervise you. I doubt you keep a job more than a few months at a time.
Moreover, the day that somebody who reports to me, dares to say that they have even the slighest amount of ability as I do, they can be sure that they will be struck off. May I please ask you to tell the owner of the company, which you work for what you just told me.
As it is unlikely in the extreme that there will ever be even one person reporting to you, the point is moot. I surround myself with those who are experts in their respective disciplines and learn from them daily. Many of my employees are far better qualified than I in some areas, none have the breadth of my experience, or my ability to successfully meld those talents into a cohesive team that produces superior results. One or two man develop that experience and then they will replace me, as I will move, either up or laterally, within the company. He that is irreplaceable is unpromotable, and he that is unpromotable has failed and will be replaced.The Sr. staff at my company have now read a good portion of your posts and we have decided to use some of your statements in our Management Training program as examples of poor management and effectiveness.
Quote you certainly don't exhibit the confidence one would expect from one in your rarified circles But yet... Quote None would last a day with your perspective and smug arrogance. Q. Do you make any sense A. To a donkey, yes, to a book, yes, to a working-class citizen, perhaps. To anyone above such, never.
Confidence and smug arrogance are not at all the same thing. The first is the ability to leverage a lifetime of experience, both personal and from those around you, to make sound statements and decisions. The second is the conviction, in spite of evidence to the contrary, that you are right. You certainly don't fall in the first category. And from the post just previous:
Correction then, manage people as a prime objective.
The only objective of the President/CEO/Chairman is to maximize shareholder value and return on investment throught the efficient and effective utilization of all resources, be they financial, intellectual, physical or human. Surely you comprehend these basics of business. Unfortunately, I've no more time to toy with you - a truly joyous endeavor - as I actually have real work to do.
biggrin.gif

kalra2411

Reaction score
I fail to understand you, you expect me to prove myself to you? Do you think that I even give the smallest amount of regard, as to whether you think I am Lakshmi Mittal?

Case in hand guvner, please, if you have the audacity to argue with me, at least keep to a specific point; her forth is what you are saying:

"You are a crap manager, but you are not a manager, you are a janitor."

Does it make any sense? No. Stick to the point, either you are criticizing my management ability, or you doubt my existence. If indeed it is the latter, I have great pity upon both you and your life. What is a business without trust? If there is no trust, there is no business.

I do however, have a great deal of disturbance when, someone, does indeed criticize a well-endowed company.

However, I am open to your comment, regarding my management style - if you even have one, (it seems you are more concerned with mud slinging). I agree I am not the most educated person in the world. However, I can tell you that my methods are the pre-eminent. They are both means tested, and applied to situations, which is indeed rare these days. Thus, I am apprehensive when adopting bookish theories - take one look at the fall of the Thapars, or Richard Green (albeit the fact that he has remade himself). Both caused by thinking like yours, nothing is applied, everything is assumed. Assumption leads to failure, there is no doubt of it.

Please note, and take this very seriously, If anyone doubts my integrity (as to being Mittal) I will have no reason to reply to them. As their thinking is but immature; as there is no reason to doubt, perhaps it is jealousy, I do not know - but please do not speak to me if you think I am not Lakshmi Mittal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics