• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ideas for sunglasses with prescription lenses?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas on what to get for sunglasses with prescription lenses. My prescription is pretty light, I normally only wear glasses when driving or viewing a presentation at work. I'm planning to get a new granite-grey metallic colored car (i'm pretty excited about that color, hope it looks sharp although i'm not sure what color best suits the interior) this year, and would like to have a cool new pair of shades to wear-- ideas?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Depends on your definition of "cool". I wear these Rudy Project Rydons. http://www.rudyproject.com/products/...&idLivello4=52 They're pretty garish, but I mostly got them for cycling. They are the only wraparound cycling glasses I've ever seen that you can put a prescription lens into. You can also snap the sun visor off, so they will work as normal glasses at a pinch. They're not elegant, but I've found them really useful. If this shape doesn't appeal, they have a host of others in their Rx range.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to wear them while driving I'd recommend getting polarized lenses, which cut dashboard glare and reflections on the windshield.

Lenscrafters can do prescription sunglass lenses and fit them to (as far as I know) any of the frames they sell. That's the easiest solution.

I have a pair of Maui Jim polarized prescription sunglasses that I wear when driving. I think they make one of the best polarized lenses around, and they are more scratch-resistant than Oakleys. Oakely also makes prescription sunglass lenses in a wide variety of tints, and some of their optical frames are a lot less garish than their sport frames.

If the sunglasses will also be used for any kind of outdoor activities/sports, definitely get polycarbonate lenses, not glass.

Droog

Reaction score
Been a wearer of glasses for years. I use last year's prescription for this year's sunglasses by just getting them tinted. Works fine for the demands I place on my glasses outdoors. Of course, that means that my sunglasses look like my regular glasses, which they are, which is how I prefer it given my middle age.

spence

Reaction score
I had a pair of prescription Maui Jim's done some time back. They were fantastic and really expensive.

Of course my eyes changed and I couldn't afford new lenses
musicboohoo[1].gif

-spence

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summary: I would get Cartier

Longer story: I knew I wanted frameless regular glasses. I went to my store and tried on all the Cartiers that I had lusted after. I found that with clear lenses they looked awful on me! I was very dissappointed, but I ended up finding some perfect "gold and wood" frames that I think are wonderful. The funny thing is that I tried the Cartiers with darker sunglasses lenses, and I thought they looked great! They are wonderful frames with the darker lenses, but IMO they are too extreme and bold with clear lenses - the metal part of the frame is too dominant with clear lenses, but with darker lenses, it's perfect. So, I love Cartiers for sunglasses. Expensive, of course...

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Summary: I would get Cartier

Longer story: I knew I wanted frameless regular glasses. I went to my store and tried on all the Cartiers that I had lusted after. I found that with clear lenses they looked awful on me! I was very dissappointed, but I ended up finding some perfect "gold and wood" frames that I think are wonderful. The funny thing is that I tried the Cartiers with darker sunglasses lenses, and I thought they looked great! They are wonderful frames with the darker lenses, but IMO they are too extreme and bold with clear lenses - the metal part of the frame is too dominant with clear lenses, but with darker lenses, it's perfect. So, I love Cartiers for sunglasses. Expensive, of course...

I had a similar experience. There is another eyewear designer, Fred, who also offers nice frames. However, all these work well with full gold/ precious metal frames. The rimless type have too much metal and look disproportional. I also had second thoughts about spending $1000 on a piece of wire...
Then I noticed hundreds of those Cartiers on e-Bay for like $100. The sellers had excellent feedback, but they must have been all fakes. It isn't that easy to distinguish one piece of wire (the original Cartier) from another (fakes)
smile.gif

On second thought, I don't know why spend big bucks on rimless frames, when you can buy reasonable ones for $150.

Ludlow

Reaction score
I hate wearing brand names. And Oakley almost always put their brand on their eyewear. But this is one instance where they truly do make a better product than any other company in the world. And I am not exaggerating.

Due to some brilliant early patents and continued R&D investments Oakley glasses just work better than everyone elses'. Due to the ellipsoid shape of the human eye the apparent angle of light coming through normal shades and glasses is off by a tiny fraction. The difference is even larger for light coming through the edges of a normal lens. Oakley adjusts for it better than anyone else. In fact, Oakley licenses some of their older technologies to their competitors. But they save their best stuff for their own product. Oakley also generally makes its eyewear more impact resistant than the competition. I like my eyes. And so I wear Oakley - both shades and their Rx line, which might be more useful for you in the office:

http://oakley.com/o/c518t

I googled a couple of links describing Oakley's patents in more detail:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/oakley.shtml

http://oakley.com/technology/lens_clarity/

Please note that I am unafilliated with the company. I just like their stuff a lot.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is an optical poster here, Gunther I think, who would offer his advice to no logos! quite vehemently and I would agree.

For something classic--and rather British--those black acetate or horn frames are nice.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
I just got Ray-Ban Daddy-O's.

In general, you can get almost any regular frame made up as sunglasses, and almost any sunglass style you like made up as prescription glasses.

I was looking for a wraparound look and I was told that these were about the maximum wraparound that would work with my no-line bifocal prescription.

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-pjrft/lb.html

fatty

Reaction score
For outdoor activites and driving, I prefer the look of darker curved sunglasses for maximum sun protection. Especially for cutting the sun glare when driving.

On the other hand when in a work environmental indoors, glasses probably need to be more smart looking and not tinted. You can either get two pairs of glasses or one which can do both.

I use normal sunglasses with contacts and it really annoys me when I'm wearing glasses and have to squint through the sunlight. You can either get transition lens or precription sunglasses+normal.
[Note with transitions, they don't turn very dark in cars as the tinted windows lower the UV so it's not detected from by the lens themselves.]

As far as style, it really depends on your face, not what's "cool". I think it's probably better to match your face shape and complexion than match your car.

The can be limited range in some types of glasses/sunglasses for prescription. My dad has curved prescription lens and they're Bolle', which I really liked. My mother worked in Luxottica [optical company] and has seen all the types of glasses/sunglasses around heh.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludlow
I hate wearing brand names. And Oakley almost always put their brand on their eyewear. But this is one instance where they truly do make a better product than any other company in the world. And I am not exaggerating.

Due to some brilliant early patents and continued R&D investments Oakley glasses just work better than everyone elses'. Due to the ellipsoid shape of the human eye the apparent angle of light coming through normal shades and glasses is off by a tiny fraction. The difference is even larger for light coming through the edges of a normal lens. Oakley adjusts for it better than anyone else. In fact, Oakley licenses some of their older technologies to their competitors. But they save their best stuff for their own product. Oakley also generally makes its eyewear more impact resistant than the competition. I like my eyes. And so I wear Oakley - both shades and their Rx line, which might be more useful for you in the office:

http://oakley.com/o/c518t

I googled a couple of links describing Oakley's patents in more detail:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/oakley.shtml

http://oakley.com/technology/lens_clarity/

Please note that I am unafilliated with the company. I just like their stuff a lot.

I wore an old pair of my Oakley polarized E-wires over the weekend (they have been relegated to backup duty), and continue to believe that they are inferior to the Maui Jims.

Ludlow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
I wore an old pair of my Oakley polarized E-wires over the weekend (they have been relegated to backup duty), and continue to believe that they are inferior to the Maui Jims.

Is it the color quality that is inferior, or the amount of glare that it lets through? Do the two have approximately the same tint? Some people prefer light vs dark tint, grey-shaded vs brown-shaded, etc. Maybe one pair fits your skull shape better than the other, minimizing bleed-in from the edges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads