1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for successfully wearing a Burgundy Jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by razl, Oct 26, 2012.

1. razl

razl Senior member

I find myself liking the idea of a burgundy jacket but am struggling with what to wear with it. If it's a dark enough hue, maybe dark gray trousers, but then what for a shirt? White seems too waiter like, blue seems odd, and grey would probably be too match-y with gray trousers.

I've done some picture surfing but haven't found any really good examples. I'm interested to hear some ideas and/or see some better examples.

2. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

One thought, camel/tan, whatever shade of you like to call it for trousers. I have(or had) a burgundy jacket with a bin of pinstripe and have done this.
    For a shirt, white with a substantial pattern. Too many possibilities there to go through. But this alleviates your plain white issue.
    This look assembled without a tie.

3. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Brown moleskin trousers.

4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Just kidding, how's this (or is that more plum than burgundy)? He pulls off the white shirt although no one would be paying much attention to what he's wearing if she was next to him.

[​IMG]

6. razl

razl Senior member

Hmmm, hadn't thought about a bow tie; plus the white pocket square with the white shirt breaks it up a bit...

ps - the previous pic is exactly what I want to avoid.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I've got a burgundy blazer. You "successfully wear it" by slipping both arms into the sleeves such that the jacket buttons at the front side of your torso.

As far as color combinations go, go wild man...blue, grey, camel, green, white. Depending on your shirt/tie/etc, you can make it look good with just about any color pants.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would avoid burgundy jackets entirely unless you have dark or olive skin. It rarely looks good on people with fair complexions.

9. razl

razl Senior member

Hmmm, I'm also thinking that shirt isn't quite white - maybe an ivory or some other subtle off-white.

10. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

I recently ordered a burgundy blazer. Can't wait for it to come in.[​IMG]

I would wear it with grey,black,navy blue or khaki trousers.

11. Mute

Mute Senior member

I have a burgundy blazer. For shirts, I usually go with a cream color or a light, lilac. Occasionally a light green. Mostly grey trousers, from medium to dark. Khaki should be ok also.

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Ask the other members of your barbershop quartet what they're wearing with theirs.

Or else dye it blue.

13. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Member

Velvet would be nice in this colour and you could wear it for the opera or as a sportcoat. White shirt and tartan bow tie for the opera and as a casual jacket a paisley shirt or black low roll neck knitted shirt.

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

+1

15. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

My previous Japanese boss was a very good dresser - generally subdued, mostly grey and navy soporific suits. Occasionally in the winter he would wear a burgundy jacket (not a blazer) and it looked very nice. Grey pants. Darker green or off-colored tie. I didn't get the impression that it was hard for him to pull off, but I suppose that's how it is with stylish men.

16. Calder

Calder Senior member

I have one. I tend to wear it with a pale yellow shirt.