• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for replacement toggles on duffle coat

visualpurple

Reaction score
I bought this duffle coat on sale at Old Navy, but I'm not crazy about the toggles:
on862724-00vliv01.jpg

The coat fits nicely and I think with some new toggles it would look great (and still come out cheaper than another coat).

Would it even be possible to change the toggles on this coat? If so, what toggles would look best? I was thinking of these from Gloverall: http://www.gloverall.com/storeItem/?productId=16

Any other ideas? Alternatively, can anyone talk me into thinking that the original toggles are worth keeping?

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I3weq.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what would be absolutely baller replacement? Stay with toggles but replace with T-Rex teeth! And I'm only half kidding. They can be bought!

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - are these available for purchase anywhere? The Gloverall ones are the only ones I could find that you could buy separately.

Sorry, they are not; it's a Balenciaga fw07 duffel, I just thought it was cool to have metal rings for the toggles to go through instead of the usual fabric/leather loops.

You know what would be absolutely baller replacement? Stay with toggles but replace with T-Rex teeth! And I'm only half kidding. They can be bought!

Now there's a thought.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea on the toggle upgrade -- it would make a big difference. Yes, those Gloverall toggles are first rate, or at least the standard.

Whether or not you or a tailor could do the operation and make it look good, I wouldn't know.

It is true that the cheap toggles & toggle rope will look cheap.

visualpurple

Reaction score

Good idea on the toggle upgrade -- it would make a big difference. Yes, those Gloverall toggles are first rate, or at least the standard.
Whether or not you or a tailor could do the operation and make it look good, I wouldn't know.
It is true that the cheap toggles & toggle rope will look cheap.

Thanks - would brown or black toggles/leather look best on the navy coat?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Go with brown.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would leave it as is. The wood & rope is in the spirit of the original duffle design.
Here is some interesting reading http://blog.lyleandscott.com/?p=3458
Welcome to Styleforum.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just saw the 3rd man again this weekend and decided to get myself a duffle coat, after seeing the policie officer, callaway, wearing his.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Go with brown.

For less than $50 that is a heck of a find, thanks. Several reviewers said they sanded the finish off the toggles and stained them dark brown, they seemed pleased with the results. It would be cheaper and easier than replacing them, especially in my case where it is essentially a temporary stop gap coat.

visualpurple

Reaction score

For less than $50 that is a heck of a find, thanks. Several reviewers said they sanded the finish off the toggles and stained them dark brown, they seemed pleased with the results. It would be cheaper and easier than replacing them, especially in my case where it is essentially a temporary stop gap coat.

That's not a bad idea, and would definitely be easier.. I think I'd still prefer the look of leather and bone toggles though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads