Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ideas for my new MTM Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allaboutshoes, Sep 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

Im making up a new suit and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have about 10-15 suits (all the basics; Navy and Grey notch lapel, Navy and grey peak lapel, a grey DB, grey 3 peice flannel). My last suit I did a heathered blue wide peak lapel with patch side and breast pockets (I know I know) and it came out very nice. It doesnt necessarily have to be CBD but I dont want it to be too fashion GQ-ed with 1.5 inch lapels if you get my drift. Any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: Looking for suggestions on styling (which would work together with a certain fabric). For example,
    Navy chalkstripe, 3 roll 2, wide peak lapels, ticket pocket, slanted etc. Please post pictures to for reference! Thanks :slayer:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I have very similar colors and or fabrications in my suits. I need a navy flannel but after that I would want to do a light grey sharkskin with patch pockets with a 3 roll 2 button, notch lapel, 3/4 lined.

3. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

Based on your collection so far I would suggest something visually louder like a blue worsted suit with light grey windowpane pattern or a dark (grey, blue, brown) chalk stripe flannel suit.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

For what season?

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If it's for fall/winter, chalk stripes on flannel (as suggested above) are always a nice addition.

6. Musella

Musella Senior member

what about a bird's eye wool suit?otherway chalk-stripes, as said, are a good choice I think.

7. mjjo

mjjo Active Member

How about a year round suit like a wool gabardine.

8. jgeldner

jgeldner Well-Known Member

Or a POW or other (maybe slightly more subtle) pattern

9. allaboutshoes

I should clarify. Im talking more about style (which of course would work together with a certain fabric).

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Something like that, and with stripes a little less bold, I think it would look better. Second one looks nice though. Chalk stripes are great on textured fabrics like flannel... about style, I'd say nothing too fancy. I would go for flap pockets, I think flannel normally calls for patch pockets but the stripes add a "businessy" touch and flaps might be better. And I really like slightly wider lapels on striped suits, though that depends on your physique too...

11. allaboutshoes

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

^ I've edited my reply above. 3 roll 2 with ticket pocket and notch lapel would look nice... I hate slanted pockets, but that's just a personal thing and if you like it of course go ahead [​IMG]