• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for lounging-around-the-house clothes that are comfortable but not too slobbish?

HPT704

Reaction score
Usually I'll wear t-shirt and athletic shorts around the house, but as I get into my 30s, I'm feeling the need to take it up a notch. If I have kids eventually, I don't want to look like a slob. Looking for ideas that are comfortable and non-constricting, but presentable enough to answer the door for a stranger. Maybe a kimono....

Res

Reaction score
Venetian slipper/house shoe.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
What's your budget?

In the vein of a kimono -- a noragi, a dressing gown, a smoking jacket, a belted cardigan, a light belted jacket. Or, anything slightly silky. Silk itself would be hard to clean, so you'd never, but rayon might be the right balance. I really like lyocell, so consider lyocell.

Linen is nice, especially in the summer. Super light, super breathable, gets softer with age, usually still machine washable.

Luxire is making high-end drawstring tousers MTM, and they have some noragi too.

For shoes... yeah, there's some fancy-ass slippers out there. Hiro Y Room Slippers at Leffot. So... You see why I had to ask for your budget, right?

HPT704

Reaction score
What's your budget?

In the vein of a kimono -- a noragi, a dressing gown, a smoking jacket, a belted cardigan, a light belted jacket. Or, anything slightly silky. Silk itself would be hard to clean, so you'd never, but rayon might be the right balance. I really like lyocell, so consider lyocell.

Linen is nice, especially in the summer. Super light, super breathable, gets softer with age, usually still machine washable.

Luxire is making high-end drawstring tousers MTM, and they have some noragi too.

For shoes... yeah, there's some fancy-ass slippers out there. Hiro Y Room Slippers at Leffot. So... You see why I had to ask for your budget, right?

Hmm, I'm in a warm climate so maybe linen is the way to go. I'll probably skip the slippers, but you've given me much to think about, thanks!

Last edited:

hamnjam

Reaction score
I'll be going in a different direction but I discovered performance denim/pants. Particularly the ones that are designed for movement. Du/er is a Canadian brand that I have a few items from.

The stretch fabric and gussets and other features is great for when I'm around the house and chasing my 3 kids under 5.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm in a warm climate so maybe linen is the way to go. I'll probably skip the slippers, but you've given me much to think about, thanks!
Well, if you are not into sports wear. (some of the new stuff is really nice, especially from Adidas and Oakley) Or like me, Dickies work pants and a print Tee. . .

What you need is the "Jinbei".
Man-Japanese-Traditional-Costumes-Samurai-Jinbei-Loose-Sleepwear-Thin-T-shirt-shorts-Cotton-Sauna-Yukata-Male.jpg

men_yukata_jinbei_380x.jpg

The most comfortable thing you will ever wear.

"Yukata" are almost as comfortable.
188001h_01.jpg

The two side by side:
jinbei.jpg

Both are casual, and can be worn with sandals and accessories. Enjoy!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% merino joggers from Olivers...
I live in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads