ideas for a shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nupton, Mar 23, 2005.

1. nupton

nupton Member

As a combined effect of my desire to be able to sew/tailor (albeit not on a proffesional level), my cheapness, and my inability to find designer clothing that fits, I've decided to sew a shirt (yes, I know many basic techniques and stitches, so this is just a step up and not running before I can walk). Given what I do have in my wardrobe, however, I am unable to think of a unique shirt to make. So as my first post on the StyleForum, I'm turning to you for ideas.

What I was initially thinking was a white cotton shirt with French cuffs and a wing collar (plain front), but since I'd be using it as a suit-shirt and not with a tuxedo or tailcoat, everyone I've talked to has told me this would look too weird. Should I go ahead and try this, or stick to more current fashions?

I'unno. In fact, all I really have set in mind is that it has to be a natural fabric and wearable with a charcoal or black suit. Any ideas? (if possible, I'll post a pic when it's done).

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

david coffin's book ('shirtmaking') has numerous suggestions for variations on the standard collars and cuffs.

you could make a shirt with a removable collar, so you can make several different collars with which to experiment.

/andrew