1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ideas for a shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nupton, Mar 23, 2005.

1. nupton

nupton Member

As a combined effect of my desire to be able to sew/tailor (albeit not on a proffesional level), my cheapness, and my inability to find designer clothing that fits, I've decided to sew a shirt (yes, I know many basic techniques and stitches, so this is just a step up and not running before I can walk). Given what I do have in my wardrobe, however, I am unable to think of a unique shirt to make. So as my first post on the StyleForum, I'm turning to you for ideas.

What I was initially thinking was a white cotton shirt with French cuffs and a wing collar (plain front), but since I'd be using it as a suit-shirt and not with a tuxedo or tailcoat, everyone I've talked to has told me this would look too weird. Should I go ahead and try this, or stick to more current fashions?

I'unno. In fact, all I really have set in mind is that it has to be a natural fabric and wearable with a charcoal or black suit. Any ideas? (if possible, I'll post a pic when it's done).

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

david coffin's book ('shirtmaking') has numerous suggestions for variations on the standard collars and cuffs.

you could make a shirt with a removable collar, so you can make several different collars with which to experiment.

/andrew