• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for a DB Vest for Black Tie?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am interested in ordering another vest to accompany my existing black tie rig, and would appreciate if members could post pics of attractive DB vests.

I have an image in my head of a DB vest slung low with quite a bit of 'scoop' to the lapels, but haven't found a good pic as of yet.

Thanks,
ET

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread - would appreciate any pics or ideas on this

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i'm thinking about the same thing, to go with a new SB dinner jacket.

In the lead is the model Astaire has in my old thread.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great minds do think alike! I sent the pic below to Meyer & Mortimer on Friday asking Paul's opinion on the vest:

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alternatively, I have danced with the idea of a u-shaped SB vest a la Thom Sweeney (the one below is not their default curvy U):

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ET and I are talking about bespoke vests, not RTW.

Alternatively, I have danced with the idea of a u-shaped SB vest a la Thom Sweeney (the one below is not their default curvy U):

While I like both, I feel that a DB semi-formal vest offers a swankier contrast with an SB dinner jacket. At least, that's my current thinking.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The important thing is that it be low in front. I'd get three buttons only, spaced close, or else six in a wide keystone if DB.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Is six buttons on the DB in accordance with the 'rules'? I noticed Astaire's version is a four-button.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Six is fine and four is fine. I would not do more than six and I prefer six to four.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ET and I are talking about bespoke vests, not RTW.
While I like both, I feel that a DB semi-formal vest offers a swankier contrast with an SB dinner jacket. At least, that's my current thinking.

I agree with this when it comes to peak lapel dinner jackets, shawl collars less so. If one chooses a waistcoat with a shawl lapel, I don't think that the waistcoat should also have lapels of any kind and I think a DB waistcoat probably looks better with shawl lapels of its own. Personally, I just go with a cummerbund, but that's because my DJ is fairly trim fitting and a waistcoat underneath would probably add too much bulk.

Another waistcoat that I've seen and sort of like, though its appearance is a little less dramatic than the DB version I linked to from PS, is this, from Ben Silver:

http://www.bensilver.com/Jacquard-Woven-Black-Silk-Waistcoat,8953.html

While it's SB, it does have a shawl lapel and is very low cut. The paisley makes up somewhat for the "pop" one might see with a DB vest.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the DB myself, but certainly no paisley prints or the like! Its black tie - I'm not looking for a 'pop'.

I'm surprised that a place like Ben Silver would even sell that. Looks like something the runner-up prom king would wear.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm leaning towards the DB myself, but certainly no paisley prints or the like! Its black tie - I'm not looking for a 'pop'.

I'm surprised that a place like Ben Silver would even sell that. Looks like something the runner-up prom king would wear.

Not sure why you feel that way; some pattern or texture for evening accessories doesn't seem problematic to me as long as it's black. I like the idea of having something that gets a little more attention if I'm leaving the jacket unbuttoned.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Another waistcoat that I've seen and sort of like, though its appearance is a little less dramatic than the DB version I linked to from PS, is this, from Ben Silver:
http://www.bensilver.com/Jacquard-Woven-Black-Silk-Waistcoat,8953.html
While it's SB, it does have a shawl lapel and is very low cut. The paisley makes up somewhat for the "pop" one might see with a DB vest.

A semi-formal vest looks best in the same material as the semi-formal pants. A "fun" vest like that B. Silver can be okay in a home or very small, private black tie party, but that paisley woven silk is a bit of a barking dog for public.

The cut of that Ben Silver just looks like the default contemporary style for a formal (white tie) vest, but done up (as ET put it) in a I've-got-a-corsage-for-my-date aesthetic. The cut of the Phineas Cole, like pretty much all Phineas Cole anything, looks kind of crappy.

I do agree with you, though, that cummerbunds rather than vests are more consonant with an SB roll collar dinner jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads