• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for a DB Vest for Black Tie?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, then, why do the vast majority of formal shirts and stud sets sold today consider four the magic number? I know, I know, there are many other abominations plaguing the majority of today's formal attire, but even the most conservative makers seem to be offering this.

And why the aversion, if the bottom two or three are covered by the waist covering anyhow?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The fourth is meant as a spare.

As to the aversion, its mainly tradition but you'll also find that having the lower-placed holes festooned with buttons will be more comfortable, as that part of the shirt presses against the waistcoat / cummerbund.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timeless, gamely fighting on, despite the fact that everything he has posted in this thread has either been wrong or in questionable taste :)

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timeless, gamely fighting on, despite the fact that everything he has posted in this thread has either been wrong or in questionable taste :)

Well, taste is personal and I hardly think I'm that far off on most of these items (aside from those on which I'm simply asking a question on an issue I don't really know about, i.e. number of studs).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fourth is meant as a spare.

As to the aversion, its mainly tradition but you'll also find that having the lower-placed holes festooned with buttons will be more comfortable, as that part of the shirt presses against the waistcoat / cummerbund.

That makes sense, unfortunately it seems as though the shirt makers didn't get the memo, as they continue to offer shirts with four stud holes. However, even knowing this I'd still probably opt for four; I wear even my tux trousers on my hip and risk a button poking out above my cummerbund.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well, taste is personal and I hardly think I'm that far off on most of these items...

I'm not sure that you believe what you say.

If you really believed that taste was merely personal, you would not offer an opinion on what others might do. All taste would be equal. There would be no good taste; nor would there be bad.

There is no reason to be active in a communal forum of opinion and discussion concerning clothes if taste was only personal.

My opinion is that taste is always related to the social, no matter where it falls on the spectrum from being consonant or in opposition to convention, tradition, and the reactions or expectations of others.

You're quite right that you are not "far off" on the topics in this thread. But, over the cliff is over the cliff, whether it is an inch or a mile.

Is it really a big deal? Not really, not these days.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that you believe what you say.
If you really believed that taste was merely personal, you would not offer an opinion on what others might do. All taste would be equal. There would be no good taste; nor would there be bad.
There is no reason to be active in a communal forum of opinion and discussion concerning clothes if taste was only personal.
My opinion is that taste is always related to the social, no matter where it falls on the spectrum from being consonant or in opposition to convention, tradition, and the reactions or expectations of others.
You're quite right that you are not "far off" on the topics in this thread. But, over the cliff is over the cliff, whether it is an inch or a mile.
Is it really a big deal? Not really, not these days.

You're ABSOLUTELY right that there is good taste and bad, though but take for example my like of the Phineas Cole tux from PS: it may not be your style but I'd question one who says "it's bad taste" since on its face its details are correct but its aesthetic is such that some may like it and others may not; it's quite distinctive and few will likely be neutral on it. Now, contrast that to this offering from the same line:

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...35&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0

This garment, IMO, is in bad taste since there's barely a resemblance between that and traditional formal attire (particularly since a tux isn't typically worn with a moose knuckle).

Regarding far off vs. not far off, I'm arrogant enough to count myself in the "I know the rules and therefore know where I do and do not feel a desire to amend them according to my own judgement" group. For example, I wear my tux trousers a bit lower, prefer flat-front trousers and am not a fan of pumps or patent. However I have a SB, PL, white Marcella double cuff shirt, white braces and a plain black satin bow and when it comes to the final details I prefer to deviate from strict traditions.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, it's not a big deal. There is certainly a wide variety of habit among guys who wear black tie today (as there was in the past.)

justin chism

Reaction score
hello my name is justin.
I have been looking for this vest for over a year. please someone tell me where or how can I purchase this vest. i NEED IT ASAP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads