• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal viewing distance for artwork

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an ideal viewing distance for artwork? I am considering purchasing a 24" x 36" painting for my galley kitchen and am concerned it is too large for the space. The painting would hang on the wall opposite the refrigerator roughly four feet away, meaning that the typical viewing distance would be less than four feet.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, probably. But who is going to want view artwork in your kitchen?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as an ideal viewing distance based on size. Depends on the context (size of the wall, etc.) and content/detail.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a big picture in a small space nor a small picture in a large space, but paint and food don't mix. It will get splattered sooner than later. Opt for a framed print (or just paint the wall).

r...

Reaction score
My mental drafting skills are not what they used to be, but it sounds like people will have to stand in front of the fridge to see the print. Im not sure that sounds like an ideal place to put anything.

From four feet or less, avoid pointillism I guess.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bad idea unless you have an awesome hood over your stove.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When's the housewarming?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
There's no such thing as an ideal viewing distance based on size. Depends on the context (size of the wall, etc.) and content/detail.

Yes, there is. You want to stand far enough back to take in the entire work as a whole at once. For something the size he's talking about, I'd want to be at least a couple of paces back. Art galleries don't put the benches close to the walls for a reason.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"A few steps back" is not "an ideal viewing distance."

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Bad idea unless you have an awesome hood over your stove.

Agree. The stove is NOT a friend of paint!

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
"A few steps back" is not "an ideal viewing distance."

You're confusing "ideal" with "specific." I was clear on the parameters and the concept, and nothing you've posted gives me the impression you're too stupid to get what I was talking about.

Now, in the best tradition of the internet, you can spend the next few days nitpicking in a lame attempt to defend a position you pretty much don't give a damn about rather than concede your first reply was wrong, or you can live, learn, and move on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads