• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal Pant Length

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to show sock when I walk. I know that's decidedly the minority view here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I just can't bring myself to show sock when I walk. I know that's decidedly the minority view here.

Yeah, I find that my idea of what is fine in terms of length does not jibe with society's conventional wisdom on correct length, and I guess I am too spineless to buck that convention too much. Here is how I would prefer to wear mine. In reality, I wear them about an inch or so longer. The snickers and "when's the flood" comments just do too much to my self esteem..
plain.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer Matt's length, too, although I have a few suits with pants hemmed longer. I've started having those rehemmed to what I think is a better length. Over the years, I've had tailors insist on hemming both my jacket sleeves and pants too long.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like a little break myself.

What I don't like is when my tailor, today for example, leaves one suit jacket sleeve a full 1/2" shorter than the other.
plain.gif

Gruto

Reaction score
I like the picture that suit pants should "shiver" on the shoes. I think it is Boyer, who puts that way, referring to an English author.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends upon the cut of the pant and your style.

I am finding that trim pants look best shorter. That being said, I just got some trim Cucinelli pants in a rather heavy wool flannel and they look amazing with a 1 3/4 cuff and a nice gentle break. It gives them a soft casual and comfortable look. My trim Prada suit (looks like retro Ali or Mcqueen 60's style) looks best with no break to show off a sleek, modern profile. The pants just "kiss" the top of the shoe.

I would not have a short length on a pant that is not trim. I also feel the taller you are the better it is to err on the side of being a bit longer with the inseam.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
imho the longest length should be at the top of the heel.

narrow bottoms mandate a shorter length.
wider bottoms a longer length.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Yeah, I find that my idea of what is fine in terms of length does not jibe with society's conventional wisdom on correct length, and I guess I am too spineless to buck that convention too much. Here is how I would prefer to wear mine. In reality, I wear them about an inch or so longer. The snickers and "when's the flood" comments just do too much to my self esteem..
plain.gif

Nice. Fuggem, you should wear them like that.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I go like this or just a touch shorter. With some novelty pants like tartans I like them to stop just short of the shoe in front.

ms003vk3.jpg

Same here, jeans are at most .5" longer. Not a fan of stacking.

GuP

Reaction score
Uploaded pics of some pants with shoes. What do ya think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads