• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ID this jacket ?

Hurlow8

Reaction score
I was watching the old movie The Sound of Music with the kids this holiday, and was struck by how much I liked one of Christopher Plummer's jackets. It appears to be brown tweed with darker sections around the lapel. I cannot, however, identify whether this is a particular style or find anything like it anywhere. Anyone familiar with this have any thoughts on finding something similar?

You can see a quick pic at this link (I think it is the fourth pic down- the only with Plummer alone)
http://m.ign.com/articles/2005/11/23/the-sound-of-music-40th-anniversary-edition

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a variation on Austrian national costume ("Tracht"). Although this particular design seems to me quite watered-down (cut like a conventional jacket and only the green upper collar using elements of "Tracht").

Every province has their particular style and someone from Austria could tell you whether this style is typical for some parts of the country or just the Hollywood view of Austrian mode of dress.

Hurlow8

Reaction score
Great- thank you very much for the information. I'll start looking more specifically for that.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrasting lapels/collars are pretty common in traditional Austrian/Bavarian/Swiss sporting and military dress, though the example you cite looks a bit westernized to me. There are other examples to be found here of the more traditional look (includes another still shot from The Sound of Music:

http://theheartthrills.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/my-austrian-jacket/

If you're in the market for such a thing you might start with Austrian stores. I know I've seen such things in shops in Vienna, but unfortunately I can't be more specific.

Viel Glück!

Cheers,
Ac

Hurlow8

Reaction score
Yes, after some searching it does appear that I am looking for a more westernized version of the jacket- which I have not been able to fine. I really like the contrasting tones and general style of the jacket above, but the drastically different collar and button styles of most of the traditional jackets I have found online are not as appealing to me.
I'll keep looking- thanks again.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, after some searching it does appear that I am looking for a more westernized version of the jacket- which I have not been able to fine. I really like the contrasting tones and general style of the jacket above, but the drastically different collar and button styles of most of the traditional jackets I have found online are not as appealing to me.
I'll keep looking- thanks again.

'Westernized" is the wrong adjective. It is not as though Austria and Bavaria are somewhere near Mongolia
As previously stated, this is Hollywood's mid '60s version of Alpine folk dress. For a contemporary manufacturer
which interprets this theme see Habsburg Clothing:

http://www.habsburg.co.at/kollektion_menu.php

The real Ritter von Trapp, who Plummer portrayed, was a ( Austro-Hungarian) naval
hero of Worldl War I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Johannes_von_Trapp

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Not the best choice of words, I admit. My point was merely that the jacket in question had been influenced by western European style, and was no longer purely Mitteleuropa in design.

Cheers,

Ac

Hurlow8

Reaction score
Wow, thanks Conrad- that is exactly what I am looking for. Now I'll just need to find a way to purchase from Chicago.
Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads