1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ID these Peal and Co. Boots -- Alden or AE?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TauKappaEpsilon, Oct 9, 2012.

1. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

These are made by Brooks Brothers Peal and Co which I believe is actually made by either Alden or AE. Can anyone tell me who makes these? And if anyone has them, or knows about them, and can tell me your opinions that would be a help.

[​IMG]

2. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

I may be wrong, but I think most Peal is made by C&J, some of BB's other offerings are made in the USA by Alden and AE.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Peale & Co is C&J or Alfred Sargent (possibly one other maker). They are all British.

I believe AE and Alden are simply branded as Brooks Brothers.

4. 89826

89826 Senior member

All Peals are made in England.

5. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

by the look i'd say they are C&J. best way to tell is the heal tap. but these look very similar to a coniston in shape.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I don't know if anyone is still reading this, but it is actually pretty easy to tell who made it if you know what to look for.

1. All Peal & Co. shoes are made in England, so they are not AE or Alden.
    2. The heel (if you can see the bottom of the shoe) will probably either have one row or two rows of nails. One row if nails indicates Crockett and Jones, two rows indicates Alfred Sargent.
    3. If they are made in USA, they will say so.
    4. Typically if they just say "Made in USA" and if they are goodyear welted, they are made by Alden.
    5. The shoes made by Allen Edmonds all seem to have the rubber topy half sole. In addition, the bottom on the slightly older AE makes will say "Brooks Brother's - Goodyear Welted." The more recent AE makes say "Allen Edmonds Expressly for Brooks Brother's." Also, the AE shoes have a poron insole.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

341 last, Crockett & Jones.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Steve: I thought all C&J made for Peal shoes and boots were on the 240 last. Is that not the case?

9. Steve Smith

I think that is one of those internet facts that gets repeated and parroted without question until it reaches Unassailable Truth status.

I have a pair of those boots the OP asked about. Single row of nails, dovetail heel, 341. A quick look at the shelf reveals shoes containing the following numbers: 72, 240 and 317. All of these have the same look, construction, handwritten numbers inside, and all four of these numbers are C&J last numbers.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

11. jreigen

jreigen Senior member

12. Steve Smith