• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ID: Guy from The Sartorialist

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Tarmac ,we're out of your league.....$1000...At the pace the dollar is falling ,i could barely buying myself a fused suit in London...

Can we split the, 1000$ on, calvados ?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Where have all the Diane Arbus gone?

These days they're Diane Airbus.
laugh.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I rather like the shoes the peyton manning looking socal crush is wearing in the 2 casual pictures shown of him. Does anyone have any opinion on what they may be and where i could locate them online? They look similar to some marc jacobs shoes i've seen before but i've never been able to find them online.

I also do appreciate the mix of styles the sartorialist brings to the table. I get a bit bored when he goes a week with pretty much all creative hit or miss fashion or a week with mostly all classic sartorial fashion. He posts some mediocre outfits and even an abomination from time to time, but i'd rather him do that, than simply playing it safe.

The guy in just boardshorts is kinda weird, but for the most part, i don't think it's "latent homosexuality" to appreciate beauty in both men and women. Sometimes he may be swayed by a pretty face/body in rating the outfit and style as a whole, but he can hardly be blamed as it's no secret that a terribly attractive person will make an otherwise poor outfit seem workable.

I know i'm not a familiar face around this part of the forum, but i do enjoy browsing from time to time.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
My goodness, some of you are sounding like a bunch of morons.

A guy takes hundreds pictures of people over several years, one or two of which are of men some posters find attractive, and it's a display of his latent homosexuality? Does the fact he posts dozens of photos of women I (a straight man) find ravishing suggest that he's just really, really good at covering up this latent homosexuality? And what's more, this ouevre is supposed to reveal a "gay" aesthetic?

My word.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gay or not gay, I find his site about as exciting as watching paint dry.
bored.gif

I also think that he is basically owned by the magazines that feature his work, and therefore no longer an impartial eye into the world of style and fashion.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I also think that he is basically owned by the magazines that feature his work, and therefore no longer an impartial eye into the world of style and fashion.

Yeah I find his whole pretext rather laughable really: "I'm tired of seeing those stylized, put-together photos of glossy models on the pages of elite magazines. I want to see... pictures of the other people who work for the glossy elite magazines."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Yeah I find his whole pretext rather laughable really: "I'm tired of seeing those stylized, put-together photos of glossy models on the pages of elite magazines. I want to see... pictures of the other people who work for the glossy elite magazines."

Remember when he used to post here, promoting his site?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Remember when he used to post here, promoting his site?

Yeah. His first taste of publicity was on SF/AAAC.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Anyway, has anyone looked at the men's vogue photo blog that was announced in their last issue? The woman taking the photos is very attractive; however, nothing really grabs me about her subjects.

I have, I was curious as the initial article in Men's Vogue kind of left me scratching my head. For instance:

I love the idea of a man getting out of the shower, throwing on an expensive suit, and leaving the house without ever looking in the mirror.
Equally exciting: someone wearing beautifully made Italian tassel loafers that have been worn and scuffed to the point that they look like they could never belong to anyone else.
Cool guys I know tend to have role models. One friend is obsessed with collecting the foldable Persol sunglasses that Steve McQueen made famous
Starting this month, I'll be looking all around me for guys who are doing their own thing--not what some magazine or designer trend tells them to do--and doing it so well and for so long that they barely think about it anymore. And I don't mean show dogs, attention hogs, or clothes-horses.
I know exactly the sort of style she is looking for, but she seems a little confused as to how these men arrive at it. Mostly what is catching her eye is confidence, along with a dose of inborn style. But still, these guys have to pay some attention to what they buy, they have to care about how they appear or they would not look the way they do.

And I'm not sure of the point - she is writing in a men's fashion magazine. She's interested in guys who don't really care about things as trivial as clothing, or fashion trends, but her audience is, guys who read men's fashion magazines??

Interesting nonetheless, I'll have to keep an eye on her blog. And some random notes on recent entries: Sam Buffa seems to be a member of an ISDE (International Six Days Enduro) club team, not the "US national motocross team" which would be the des nations team. (Competing in the ISDE is impressive though.) And congrats to Mike C for already making her blog!!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I know exactly the sort of style she is looking for, but she seems a little confused as to how these men arrive at it. Mostly what is catching her eye is confidence, along with a dose of inborn style. But still, these guys have to pay some attention to what they buy, they have to care about how they appear or they would not look the way they do.

And I'm not sure of the point - she is writing in a men's fashion magazine. She's interested in guys who don't really care about things as trivial as clothing, but her audience is, guys who read men's fashion magazines??

To be fair though, this summarises a good chunk of the posting on SF and AAAC too.

We also tend to love individual, confident looks and the appearance of just having put together a relaxed yet cohrent oufit... and sometimes, some of us manage to create such an ensemble.

But on the other hand, we obsess over minutiae and let's be honest, sometimes even vacillate unnecessarily over stylistic choices.

I figure that over time, as our "eye" improves, we get quicker at the pattern recognition process that involves dressing quickly in the manner she talks about.

But I think most of the guys she talks about who look good naturally, actually DO think about patterns, styles and so on. Though probably at a more natural aesthetic level than some of the ever so slightly obsessive way we occasionally indulge in.
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't decide who looks better, Brigitte or Gunter.

56232219.jpg

BTW, are they wearing matching ties?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the link...Quite interesting...It's refreshing to read a fashion article with a bit of fashion history in it...

The journalist made some research instead of trying to push a partisan point across...

I do like the vintage pictures ....Thanks guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads