1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'd Forgotten What It Was Like to Have Intelligent, Articulate Leaders

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Augusto86, Dec 3, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Lack of teeth can be an asset for such a practiced orator as Ilona.

I quite consciously phrased my comment in terms of her appeal as an orator as opposed to her skills.
    But different strokes . . .

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

According to google, she's now 56. I suspect she may be a far less appealing orator than she used to be (unless you're Conne).
    Lack of teeth can be an asset for such a practiced orator as Ilona.
    "Yarr, that'll replace the whale in my nightmares..."

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, he's disputing your claim that Kerry is "quite a bit smarter" than Bush because Kerry is a better speaker.

Um, no. Not only because he is a better speaker, but because what he was speaking about and how he responded made much more sense than any of the garbled noise which came out of Bush's mouth.

Jon.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I didn't vote for either when given the chance, and I believe I was correct.

I did mention before that it was utterly sad and pathetic that we couldn’t do better than either of them, and your decision was ultimately the most venerable one when faced with that monumental embarrassment of a choice.

Jon.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said:
    Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

6. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

[​IMG]
    It pretty much always has been. As a rule, the Good Old Days were usually worse.

I'd agree that the Good Old Days were usually worse... but politically the early 20th Century seemed to have a much wider range of competing ideologies, all promising a better world - from communist utopias to the freedom of the capitalist markets.

Voting for a particular party would help to make that dream a reality and lead to a better world.

Now it seems politicians never talk about making a better world, just maintaining a less bad one and how voting for them will protect us from some unseen and statistically unlikely attack looming just around the corner.

(Disclaimer: I wasn't there, you might be right... but from watching old speeches and what I know about early 20th Century politics my argument seems to hold)

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Where are the Cato’s, and the Cicero’s, and the Pericles?
    Cato: committed suicide when Julius Caesar kicked his ass. Cicero: beheaded when the Second Triumvirate put him on the ultimate shit list. Pericles: died of the plague after, what, three? of his sons died. The moral, as always: the fascists always win. When they don't, God finishes the job himself.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Cato: committed suicide when Julius Caesar kicked his ass.
    Cicero: beheaded when the Second Triumvirate put him on the ultimate shit list.
    Pericles: died of the plague after, what, three? of his sons died.

The moral, as always: the fascists always win. When they don't, God finishes the job himself.

Jeez, thank God I didn't mention JFK, Thomas More, etc...

Jon.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I don't see what all the fuss is about here. Augusto is right, love him, hate him, or really don't care, Clinton is a great public speaker, very articulate, and seems reasonably intelligent. While I think Bush is no idiot, he's anything but articulate, or at least on camera, and for the POTUS in 2007, that's what really matters.

Now Augusto, your title that you have forgotten what it was like...how old are you? How long ago did Clinton leave office? You sure you were paying attention at 15? [​IMG]

10. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I don't see what all the fuss is about here. Augusto is right, love him, hate him, or really don't care, Clinton is a great public speaker, very articulate, and seems reasonably intelligent. While I think Bush is no idiot, he's anything but articulate, or at least on camera, and for the POTUS in 2007, that's what really matters.

Now Augusto, your title that you have forgotten what it was like...how old are you? How long ago did Clinton leave office? You sure you were paying attention at 15? [​IMG]

LOL

I think I was pretty politically aware for 15. Aware enough to be pissed about the 2000 election.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LOL

I think I was pretty politically aware for 15. Aware enough to be pissed about the 2000 election.

Good for you! I did not pay any attention until I started paying taxes. Suddenly, I was "politically aware"!

12. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Good for you! I did not pay any attention until I started paying taxes. Suddenly, I was "politically aware"!

I was actually getting a paycheck freshman year in high school, and let me tell you...the first time I saw that "deductions" line I nearly flipped my shit.

Death and taxes...

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

(Disclaimer: I wasn't there, you might be right... but from watching old speeches and what I know about early 20th Century politics my argument seems to hold)

Just for the record -- I may well be older than you, but I wasn't there either. [​IMG]

14. KBW

KBW Senior member

He's probably reading the teleprompter

Now he stumbles and stutters even when he has something to read...the guy is an idiot...my grandfather checked out his transcript from college and saying he didn't do well at all is an understatement yet somehow it came out that he was a scholar

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Now he stumbles and stutters even when he has something to read...the guy is an idiot...my grandfather checked out his transcript from college and saying he didn't do well at all is an understatement yet somehow it came out that he was a scholar

Can you point me to a source that maintained Bush was "a scholar"? I mean, even he has made fun of his undergrad GPA.

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I'd agree that the Good Old Days were usually worse... but politically the early 20th Century seemed to have a much wider range of competing ideologies, all promising a better world - from communist utopias to the freedom of the capitalist markets.

Voting for a particular party would help to make that dream a reality and lead to a better world.

Now it seems politicians never talk about making a better world, just maintaining a less bad one and how voting for them will protect us from some unseen and statistically unlikely attack looming just around the corner.

We went from the modern age and its absolute foundations to the postmodern times and the reign of fragmented images and lack of certitudes.