• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Icelandic Sweater

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi All, I am thinking of getting an Icelandic handknit sweater. Hoping to find an older example in large. This one from "The Handknitting Association Of Iceland" is probably from post 1977 to the 1990s(?). It has an unusual pattern to it compared to other Icelandic Sweaters I've seen. Does this strike anyone as a typical Icelandic pattern or more Viking, Nordic, and or Fair Island? It doesn't say the type of wool used but the "The Handknitting Association Of Iceland" still exists and they only use Icelandic wool, so I assume this was always the case?

Anyone also have an opinion on Icelandic wool? Rougher or similar to Shetland, etc? I live in Minnesota, so warm sweaters are de rigor :p

Many Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lopi yarn is what i think of with icelandic knits ... it's less a true yarn and more like unspun roving but the breed itself is special to iceland , the sweater you show looks likely

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Ah ha, came across more info on that design:

Looks like it is a traditional Icelandic "fisherman" sweater motif. I wish this sweater was in a darker color, but still not bad in Gray.

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
I am also considering this sweater. It does not have the carry over sleeve and bottom motif patterns but I really like the color. I assume hand made and hand knit mean the same thing? This time the tag says Icelandic wool. The Thornvaldsen's Bazar still exists.

Any thoughts between these two sweaters?

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 182
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 183

marimichel

Reaction score
Icelandic hand-knit sweaters are great, the kind of wool they are made of is very sturdy! 👌 I see many people in Northern Europe wearing these outside in the winter even without a coat on top as this thick wool is water-resistant and repels light rain or snow.
I think you should make your choice according to what colour fits you the best and whether you want a thicker or thinner sweater. Also good to consider your shoulder type.

1. The grey sweater is much bulkier and quite surely made out of Icelandic Lopi yarn, which I recognize from the fluffiness of the knit. Bulky knits are in general good for people who have a wider upper body. The pattern is quite straight(not as curved as on the other one) on the upper half of the sweater, so if you have sloped shoulders, this is a good option to go for. This tone of grey is good for neutral or warm undertone skin.

2. The dark blue sweater seems to be much thinner than the grey one. The pattern is much more rounded, so if you have low, sloped shoulders, this pattern will just accentuate that. If you have more broad shoulders, this is a good choice. This colour of blue is good for neutral or cool undertone skin.

Captain Cosmic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, sorry for the slow reply. Been a crazy 2 months. Thank you all for your advice. I ended up getting the Grey sweater ("The Handknitting Association Of Iceland"). It is very warm and soft. It rides up a little at the neck on the front but otherwise is long enough and fits well. It is similar in bulk to my old hand made Irish Aran sweater but heavier than my JPress Shaggy dogs. I like sweaters, preferably vintage ivy style, understated Alan Paine ones (though I do have a couple of 'interesting' "Parker of Vienna" alpaca sweaters).

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads