• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're playing the best hockey they've played in years. I'm not sure what you mean by they can play better. Of course they're not playing 100% perfect, but they're damn close.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The canucks played much better on home ice, more jump and more tenacity. There was a bit of that in the third game, but this fourth game it seemed like they were playing more passively; more of a trapping game.

I don't think woudl match up very well to a big team like the Ducks, where the top lines aren't afraid of getting gritty. Though big, the Canucks' first two lines (especially without Sundin) is fairly passive.

Ryan Johnson is the unsung hero of the first round for the Canucks. Amazing what he puts his body through.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
They're playing the best hockey they've played in years. I'm not sure what you mean by they can play better. Of course they're not playing 100% perfect, but they're damn close.
You clearly didn't watch every game in the regular season... they're capable of a lot more than they've shown. They've been somewhat undisciplined, the passes aren't getting to where they should be and they're not creating as much space as they have in the past with speed. They have yet to play a full 60 minute game, or even 45 minutes. Defensively they have been fairly responsible, there are occasional lapses but they're doing okay. The 2nd period wasn't pretty tonight and there was some running around. On the offensive side of the puck they're just not clicking the way they're capable of. That's why they're relying on their goalie and that's why the games have been close so late into them. They can play much, much better. I've seen it. The best hockey they've played in years was a game against Minnesota in March, they went down 2-0 early and then just absolutely massacred the Wild. If that Canucks team shows up to one of these games Luongo won't even be a meaningful factor, right now he is winning us games. Which is great, but it's better if he doesn't have to keep doing it through the whole playoffs.
Originally Posted by sonick
I don't think woudl match up very well to a big team like the Ducks, where the top lines aren't afraid of getting gritty. Though big, the Canucks' first two lines (especially without Sundin) is fairly passive.
We don't play the ducks. If the ducks win we get Calgary or Chicago, whoever wins. If the Ducks lose we get Detroit. Of the 3 I'd prefer Chicago, I don't know if Khabibulin has won in Vancouver since the 90s.

mgoose

Reaction score
I'm praying for a Chicago matchup after we steamrolled them in the regular season. But we always seem to do well even against Detroit, so I'm not to worried either way.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch all their games, but the Canucks did look good against the Blues.

I've also watched games from the Flyers/Penguins, Caps/Rangers, and Ducks/Sharks. I like the Flyers, but they are done now but there is still time for someone to knock Crosby out . Caps finally looked like they came to play in game 3, and after watching the Rangers play a number of times, I just don't think they are good enough to go anywhere. The Sharks win last night is nice, but I think they are going to lose in 6.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Ryan Johnson is the unsung hero of the first round for the Canucks. Amazing what he puts his body through.

Please make sure you properly thank the University of North Dakota...
See also:
Parise, Zach
Zajac, Travis
Toews, Jonathan

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I didn't watch all their games, but the Canucks did look good against the Blues.

I've also watched games from the Flyers/Penguins, Caps/Rangers, and Ducks/Sharks. I like the Flyers, but they are done now but there is still time for someone to knock Crosby out . Caps finally looked like they came to play in game 3, and after watching the Rangers play a number of times, I just don't think they are good enough to go anywhere. The Sharks win last night is nice, but I think they are going to lose in 6.

+1

enjoiii

Reaction score
Canucks can still play better but Lou is playing well and were winning games. A 4 game sweep is impressive no matter what team your playing against. Hopefully we get Chicago next round which is a series I think we can win.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the Caps are about to ruin my day...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads