• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Bath

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I play in a competitive basketball league. I work out on a regular basis and push myself pretty hard. Would I benefit from an ice bath? I never tried it when I played hs football. Has anyone on the board experimented with ice baths? I don't mind the pain if there is a serious benefit to my well-being.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Just ice the parts that hurt. You don't need to ice your whole body.

From my understanding it is not injuries. It's supposed to speed recovery along with other benefits.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my time at the training room in college, I've seen numerous athletes take ice baths. They're supposed to help with the lactic acid and recovery speed. I've seen professional swimmers use them for muscle recovery purposes too, so I guess it's worth a shot.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
If you a note saying you had your kidney removed for the black market, i heard post op, ice bath works wonders...

Monaco

Reaction score
While ice definitely helps with inflammation, I doubt you need it all over your body. Injuries come with the territory, I messed up my knees before age 20 and decided that anything with jumping is going to be stopped for my long term well being.

SUPER K

Reaction score
Our health club has a "cold plunge" pool, about 15' X10', just waist deep, kept at about 55 degrees. Very popular with the runners and tri guys. Helps flush the lactic acid. I have found it really helps after those long runs or bike rides

prep333

Reaction score
Ice baths are unreal. I dummied my back one day deadlifting, stopped on the way home from the gym picked up 5 bags of ice from the gas station and poured them in a cold bath. Sat in there for about 15 minutes. Thought I was going to shrivel up in there and die, but it definitely accelerated my healing.

privateer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Just to clarify: ice baths have nothing to do with lactic acid. Icing reduces inflamation and encourages blood flow, which can help with recovery.

+1

I don't know about blood flow (not saying its true, not saying its false), but the other two are simple scientific facts.

Sports medicine is full of common knowledge that is plain wrong. Hopefully threads like this expose it!

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just do contrast showers instead. It helps with recovery after hard workouts.

Totino

Reaction score
I've done it in the past after hard track/XC workouts, the benefit was zero soreness.

Gattopardo

Reaction score
After a hard leg weights or plyometric jump session my rowing team would often stand in the river just off the dock in water up to the tops of our thighs. It made it possible to go up and down stairs the next day. I was told that the increased blood flow to the muscles would help flush the lactic acid out faster, but this did seem a little like broscience (of the more plausible sort, though). Either way, the anti-inflammatory effect certainly had its benefits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads