1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Bath

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Young Scrappy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Senior member

I play in a competitive basketball league. I work out on a regular basis and push myself pretty hard. Would I benefit from an ice bath? I never tried it when I played hs football. Has anyone on the board experimented with ice baths? I don't mind the pain if there is a serious benefit to my well-being.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Just ice the parts that hurt. You don't need to ice your whole body.

3. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

I ran track in colllege and used to use the ice bath fairly often. It's really unpleasant, and I'm not sure it actually did anything. But some people will tell you that it works wonders.

4. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Senior member

Just ice the parts that hurt. You don't need to ice your whole body.

From my understanding it is not injuries. It's supposed to speed recovery along with other benefits.

5. Althis

Althis Senior member

In my time at the training room in college, I've seen numerous athletes take ice baths. They're supposed to help with the lactic acid and recovery speed. I've seen professional swimmers use them for muscle recovery purposes too, so I guess it's worth a shot.

6. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

If you a note saying you had your kidney removed for the black market, i heard post op, ice bath works wonders...

7. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

While ice definitely helps with inflammation, I doubt you need it all over your body. Injuries come with the territory, I messed up my knees before age 20 and decided that anything with jumping is going to be stopped for my long term well being.

8. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

Our health club has a "cold plunge" pool, about 15' X10', just waist deep, kept at about 55 degrees. Very popular with the runners and tri guys. Helps flush the lactic acid. I have found it really helps after those long runs or bike rides

9. prep333

prep333 Senior member

Ice baths are unreal. I dummied my back one day deadlifting, stopped on the way home from the gym picked up 5 bags of ice from the gas station and poured them in a cold bath. Sat in there for about 15 minutes. Thought I was going to shrivel up in there and die, but it definitely accelerated my healing.

10. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

Just to clarify: ice baths have nothing to do with lactic acid. Icing reduces inflamation and encourages blood flow, which can help with recovery.

11. privateer

privateer Well-Known Member

Just to clarify: ice baths have nothing to do with lactic acid. Icing reduces inflamation and encourages blood flow, which can help with recovery.

+1

I don't know about blood flow (not saying its true, not saying its false), but the other two are simple scientific facts.

Sports medicine is full of common knowledge that is plain wrong. Hopefully threads like this expose it!

12. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

I just do contrast showers instead. It helps with recovery after hard workouts.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

ice bath would also be a killer way to burn some mass calories and get real cut up

14. Totino

Totino Active Member

I've done it in the past after hard track/XC workouts, the benefit was zero soreness.

15. Gattopardo

Gattopardo Active Member

After a hard leg weights or plyometric jump session my rowing team would often stand in the river just off the dock in water up to the tops of our thighs. It made it possible to go up and down stairs the next day. I was told that the increased blood flow to the muscles would help flush the lactic acid out faster, but this did seem a little like broscience (of the more plausible sort, though). Either way, the anti-inflammatory effect certainly had its benefits.

16. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

I ran track in colllege and used to use the ice bath fairly often. It's really unpleasant, and I'm not sure it actually did anything. But some people will tell you that it works wonders.

This ^, I currently run and have found the same to be true. Supposedly 55* is the magic temperature but I've found anything between 50 and there to be about perfect. Once you drop much past that it gets extremely uncomfortable.

Not sure if you guys are aware of the Nike Cryosuana but its pretty interesting; slide 17 has an interesting comment from Alberto.
    http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=499651.html

17. Theory

Theory Senior member

Does it have benefits? Sure.

Does it suck worse than a great majority of other sucky things? Yes.

It's terribly uncomfortable to sit in those ice tubs and if you aren't careful you can actually injure yourself pretty well post-bath. You'll be fairly numb which obviously dulls your senses of how your joints are balancing your body... a wrong step and you can crank a tendon. Happened here and there to other guys as I grew up playing sports.

Unless you're finding yourself literally unable to move the morning following an intense workout, theres no need to do this.

If you have a unheated pool available to you, jump in that.

18. GSquared

GSquared Senior member

A friend of mine was a D-I WR in the Big Ten. He said that they are helpful for recovery, but that unless you are doing 2-a-days, or recovering from an injury, they probably aren't needed.

19. JTK

JTK Senior member

Incredibly helpful for post-marathon recovery! I wear a sweatshirt, make a hot chocolate or coffee, and plunge into an icy bath for 15 minutes after any run longer than 20 miles. It only hurts for the 1st couple of minutes until everything gets numb. The key is not to move once you're numb, otherwise the freezer burn hits again.

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Incredibly helpful for post-marathon recovery! I wear a sweatshirt, make a hot chocolate or coffee, and plunge into an icy bath for 15 minutes after any run longer than 20 miles. It only hurts for the 1st couple of minutes until everything gets numb. The key is not to move once you're numb, otherwise the freezer burn hits again.

right. i learned to do meditation when in extreme cold situations when im caught outside without a jacket or something like that , it works. i just meditate and try to 'translate' that cold feeling to a feeling of nothing or neutral. it works for 10 minutes perhaps but then afterwards im like get the hell out of here. i want to take an ice bath one day or swim in the pool outside in the freezing winter night to see if i can practice this.