• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IB Meeting: Advice Needed

jays978

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to speak to a very senior person at a bulge bracket bank about investment banking and frankly do not want to screw it up. I have a few questions and was wondering if you guys could offer your advice. Thank you in advance.

1) What should I ask him?
2) What should I not ask him?
3) I am looking to land a summer internship (I know recruiting is over/internships are starting), should I even mention my desire?
4) Any other advice you would like to offer.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Bring up religion and politics immediately.

Be serious!!
OP, suggest a reach-around to him!

kasper007

Reaction score
you'd know what to ask him if you were truly interested in IB.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
3) I am looking to land a summer internship (I know recruiting is over/internships are starting), should I even mention my desire?

If you're thinking about an internship for this summer, don't even ask. That ship sailed months ago, and you'd seem totally clueless and disorganized if you asked now. If you're trying to tee something up for next summer, it would be entirely appropriate to ask about the process.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
you'd know what to ask him if you were truly interested in IB.

Originally Posted by tj100
If you're thinking about an internship for this summer, don't even ask. That ship sailed months ago, and you'd seem totally clueless and disorganized if you asked now. If you're trying to tee something up for next summer, it would be entirely appropriate to ask about the process.

These.

JohnEnglish

Reaction score
Be prepared to answer questions from the banker. They'll want to know why you're interested in IB and to prvide them with some examples. Find out what kind of deals their firm specializes in, know the last few big deals that their bank participated in, what are some popular recent conferences that attract bankers, etc.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ask him his opinion on the frenchie IMF dude.. and whether he would have let the housekeeping lady off the hook without a full release..

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
Hi Gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to speak to a very senior person at a bulge bracket bank about investment banking and frankly do not want to screw it up. I have a few questions and was wondering if you guys could offer your advice. Thank you in advance.

1) What should I ask him?
2) What should I not ask him?
4) Any other advice you would like to offer.

Ask him what schools they recruit from.

I'd subtlely let him know your interest in the field. And ask him if he's a SF member.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads