1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I would never wear.....

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Nov 17, 2009.

1. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I thought pg was a cokezero guy, not diet coke.

I wouldn't say never to most all of these things. Even crocs.

I can say i will never wear some of those absolutely hideous suits worn in MC like the muted colors with thick plaid/check or whatever it is. Yfyf and pg have a few decent patterned suits but most of the ones shown off in MC make me want to vomit. Someone posted in recent purchases the other day some armani suit he got at filenes or something bragging about the retail price and that's the kind i'm talking about. So gross

+1

Most of the suits and jacket/pants combos on MC are absolutely hideous. As is their never ending creaming over each other's outfits

2. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

can anyone explains the hate for boat shoes?

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

for some people, it's the preppy look they want to veer away from
    for others, it's because they're everywhere

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I didnt know drop crotch pants were on the radar of so many people of stuff they'd never wear. they're awful but they didnt even exist in any form of conscious thought for me. until now. and it wont leave.

Me neither. 'Til now...

in case anyone that wears skulls said something about ed hardy, guess who did art work for the leather patch, heh

ooops.

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

Sweater vests.
    Suit vests worn casually.
    Jean shorts.

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

i didn't know men wore jean shorts

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

newsboy caps

And it's a shame really. A classic, which I can pull off. Been wearing them for years, but take no credit for them becoming the hipster grease-sponge they've turned into.

Then again, I do take full credit for inventing cargo shorts when I was a bike messenger and cutoff fatigues were incredibly handy. I'm still waiting for a royalty check from Gap.

Please. No hate. It was a good idea at the time.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

It's a very thin line between a nice suit/sportcoat pattern and a boring, nordstrom-y one.

-club/emblem ties
    -ascots
    -suspenders
    -tech-y boots
    -monk straps
    -trail shoes (you know, like north face sneakers or montrail or whatever)
    -Birkenstocks
    -bracelets/jewelry
    -anything drapey/slinky/sheer--generally things that "play with proportion"--definitely a "can't wear" for me
    -long board shorts

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

i didn't know men wore jean shorts

There's a lot of confessionals happening here. It's cathartic for some, I think.

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

-Birkenstocks
    -

[​IMG]

Wearing my leather Bostons at the office today (as indoor shoes with socks), sure beats sweating with red wings on.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

I've been on a Diet Lipton Green Tea (with Citrus) kick for the last ~5 or so months.
    And you expect me to put your name on a list when you type shit like this?
    Conversely, can anyone explain the love for boat shoes? I'd never wear them but simply do not understand why they get so much love in certain circles.

12. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

well it looks nice (at least for me), goes well with jeans (i think) and comfy.

hmm, does it go well with jeans?

13. Desi

Desi Senior member

they are nice for spring/summer without having to show my toes.

14. Moosbrugger

Moosbrugger Member

short-sleeved shirts. They invariably look terrible on anyone without massive arms

15. malefic

malefic Senior member

In my case, I hate the seam running around the top at the front. It's the same reason I will never in my life wear loafers. I think the whole style looks awful, and I've never seen it done right (meaning in a way that appealed to me). [​IMG] (Bottega Veneta - regardless of the coloration I simply wouldn't wear them unless they were sponsoring me in some way and I was paid/required to walk around in them.)

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Those bottegas are pretty unattractive and probably only look good on someone with boatloads of indiv style. Boat shoes don't really look that crazy. Like a loafer with a different sole. They're really not that hard to wear and make look decent. People are just weird about backlashing against things i guess. They look good in certain looks but not in others. Same goes for pretty much any style of shoe. Are athletic hitop shoes only for playing sports so you don't hurt your ankle or is it possible to wear them without being a big basketball player? I don't understand this forum sometimes. I guess people just like to hate

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

short-sleeved shirts. They invariably look terrible on anyone without massive arms

lmao

18. jet

jet Senior member

Hate most purples especially UO shades or plain purple tees under stuff trying to style out.

Hold on there Cowboy, wife beaters are a staple of my Russian gangster meets hillbilly-rocker steez.

On topic, I don't believe I'll ever wear:
    pastel polos
    yellow
    a hoodie under a tee shirt
    fake diamonds
    drop crotch pants
    a straw boater

Do rock wife beat on daily, will beat fok when I get home. Goal is to own straw boater one day so I can pull off junya/andrew 3k steez.

I just wish people didn't have to pay a premium on something that doesn't look like fucking speedcats.

cats love speecats in LA [​IMG]

I would never wear a shawl neck sweater. Tried one on and it felt like I was being swallowed by a giant vagina.

Love shawl necks for this exact reason, have maybe 5.

1. Short shorts
    2. Sweatpants
    3. Cargo pants
    4. Bell-bottoms
    5. Skinny jeans - they look terrible on me.
    6. Basketball shoes
    Seconded.

Forgot this one, seriously never understood this.

Boat Shoes
    Cardigans
    Vests
    Skinny Jeans

I saw the notation in the title but I wouldn't know how to classify it so I'll just say I'll never wear ANYTHING ed hardy-esque in design.

Love cardigans, check official cardigan thread for inspiration. Hate mc type cardigans though.

newsboy caps

The right one ie. not original penguin or some garbage (may be a variation on the shape) is nice on the right person

Sweater vests.
    Suit vests worn casually.
    Jean shorts.

So down to rock a sweater vest though not a la br steez.

It's a very thin line between a nice suit/sportcoat pattern and a boring, nordstrom-y one.

-club/emblem ties
    -ascots
    -suspenders
    -tech-y boots
    -monk straps
    -trail shoes (you know, like north face sneakers or montrail or whatever)
    -Birkenstocks
    -bracelets/jewelry
    -anything drapey/slinky/sheer--generally things that "play with proportion"--definitely a "can't wear" for me
    -long board shorts

Despise despise despise monks (mc groupthink), birkenstocks (in CA they are a joke) and bracelets. Don't like jewelry though have one ring I love. And ascots are so gangsta, will rock more soon.

19. malefic

malefic Senior member

Those bottegas are pretty unattractive and probably only look good on someone with boatloads of indiv style. Boat shoes don't really look that crazy. Like a loafer with a different sole. They're really not that hard to wear and make look decent. People are just weird about backlashing against things i guess. They look good in certain looks but not in others. Same goes for pretty much any style of shoe. Are athletic hitop shoes only for playing sports so you don't hurt your ankle or is it possible to wear them without being a big basketball player? I don't understand this forum sometimes. I guess people just like to hate
    I already said "regardless of the coloration" and I would say otherwise they are pretty run-of-the-mill boat shoes, no? You can accuse me of simple "trend-hating" till you're blue in the face (EDIT: and in other cases I'll admit to it), but I've detested loafers since sixth grade (I had to start wearing black loafers/dress shoes to school in grade 7 and nothing without laces was ever the least bit attractive to me), obviously long before I was the least bit interested in the intricacies of clothing and style. Since then I haven't seen anything to change my mind about loafers, and boat shoes to me are just an even uglier version with that cord running around the heel and the silly grommet holes.

20. Nil

Nil Senior member

[​IMG]

Wearing my leather Bostons at the office today (as indoor shoes with socks), sure beats sweating with red wings on.

Sandals with socks?

[​IMG]