• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wore a rented tux!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my best friends got married last weekend, and I was the best man. I've got a perfectly fitted Attolini tux in my closet but I had to match the other guys Â
mad.gif
So ya'll can imagine A Harris the clothes snob in a rented tux - stiff worsted wool that had been dry cleaned to death, overly wide and squared shoulders, three-button with a notch lapel, satin facing covering only half of the lapel, pants with a plastic ratchet mechanism to adjust the waist, the world's wimpiest wing collar, and plastic shoes that looked like a 70's take on something from 18th century France. The worst offender was a PRE-TIED navy long tie with a matching vest. I had to put on a ski-mask afterwards and rob the photographer. It wouldn't do to have those pictures floating around Â
biggrin.gif
Anyone else got a rented tux horror story to share??

Pink22m

Reaction score
Ouch...It reminds me of my high school prom.
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, same thing has happened to me. I had to wear a four button notched lapel tux. Ouch.

On a related note, I'm in the market for a classic 1 button peaked lapel tux, 40R. Anyone see anything reasonable out there? It's hard to find anything for a reasonable price, it seems.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I HAVE shared that particular pain before. Even worse when one of those people you love think that a bow tie clip-on alternative -- the plastic medallion or long thin ribbon tie -- is a good idea.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Yep, same thing has happened to me.  I had to wear a four button notched lapel tux.  Ouch.  

On a related note, I'm in the market for a classic 1 button peaked lapel tux, 40R.  Anyone see anything reasonable out there?  It's hard to find anything for a reasonable price, it seems.
Keep hitting ebay. I have one but I see them from time to time for really low amounts from very good brands.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Rented tux. Didn't try on before I drove up to the wedding. Found out the trousers had a busted zipper.
redface.gif
Missed the wedding party pictures trying to pin the zipper shut.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Rented tux. Â Didn't try on before I drove up to the wedding. Â Found out the trousers had a busted zipper.
redface.gif
I've learned to always try on a rented tux well before the event. A few years back (unfortunately before I owned a tux), I realized an hour before the event that I had received an XXL vest. For the record, I'm 5'10" and 146 lbs. As upset as I was, I felt really sorry for the large guy trying to wear my medium vest.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too bad those pictures are now gone. We would love to have some blackmail material.

Me, I've never wore a tux, rented or otherwise, in my entire life.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I was once forced to wear a rented morning suit at an evening wedding. I was so offended by the forced breach of ettiquette, I totally ignored the quality (or lack thereof) of the suit.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plastic shoes that looked like a 70's take on something from 18th century France
sounds kinda cool actually...
Found out the trousers had a busted zipper.
redface.gif
Missed the wedding party pictures trying to pin the zipper shut
i'd think an open zipper could only add to the pictures...
I was once forced to wear a rented morning suit at an evening wedding. Â I was so offended by the forced breach of ettiquette, I totally ignored the quality (or lack thereof) of the suit.
that makes me laugh out loud. i don't see why the groom's men need to wear identical tuxedos. wouldn't just wearing the same colors be enough?

NavyStyles

Reaction score
i don't see why the groom's men need to wear identical tuxedos. wouldn't just wearing the same colors be enough?
Seems like a unified color scheme would work.

I don't know how this would go over with groomsmen, but I can remember my old girlfriend saying how she planned to make her bridesmaids' dresses ugly to make her own look that much better.

Classic

Reaction score
I was in a wedding party where despite two of us having our own tux, had to rent one. The groom said that he wanted all of us, except him to have the identical tuxs, shirts, ties, etc. As it turned out, the reason he wanted this was so that he could get his free for the wedding and for another occasion he had to attend a month later.
One thing though, it did make me appreciate the quality and style of my own tux that much more.

GBGB

Reaction score
All this tux talk has me thinking about my own upcoming wedding. Has anyone ever had a bespoke tux made by a tailor? Is it more challenging than a suit? I'm thinking about having a bespoke tux made (peaked lapels, single button), but I am a little nervous (about the bespoke tux and the nuptials). I don't think my wedding day would be the best time to figure out that the tailor I chose may have a quality control issue. I know this wouldn't be a problem for Darren or Raphael, but they are out of my price range (less than $2500).

Has anyone tried Ercoles Creative Fashions, the tailors in Brooklyn? I'm thinking about having them make the tux. I know of one poster who has had a good experience, but I would like to know if anyone has had any other experiences with them.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
A bespoke dinner jacket is a bit more challenging than a suit because it should fit somewhat closer to the body. Since you generally are not as active while wearing a dinner jacket to an event as you are while wearing a suit to work, it should fit closer to your skin.

I had a bespoke dinner jacket made from a good tailor in Kazakstan, and I was happy with the result. It was a very good dinner jacket, but probably not up to Savile Row standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads