I wore a rented tux!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Mar 11, 2004.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of my best friends got married last weekend, and I was the best man. I've got a perfectly fitted Attolini tux in my closet but I had to match the other guys  [​IMG] So ya'll can imagine A Harris the clothes snob in a rented tux - stiff worsted wool that had been dry cleaned to death, overly wide and squared shoulders, three-button with a notch lapel, satin facing covering only half of the lapel, pants with a plastic ratchet mechanism to adjust the waist, the world's wimpiest wing collar, and plastic shoes that looked like a 70's take on something from 18th century France. The worst offender was a PRE-TIED navy long tie with a matching vest. I had to put on a ski-mask afterwards and rob the photographer. It wouldn't do to have those pictures floating around  [​IMG] Anyone else got a rented tux horror story to share??

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Ouch...It reminds me of my high school prom. [​IMG]

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yep, same thing has happened to me. I had to wear a four button notched lapel tux. Ouch.

On a related note, I'm in the market for a classic 1 button peaked lapel tux, 40R. Anyone see anything reasonable out there? It's hard to find anything for a reasonable price, it seems.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

I HAVE shared that particular pain before. Even worse when one of those people you love think that a bow tie clip-on alternative -- the plastic medallion or long thin ribbon tie -- is a good idea.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Keep hitting ebay. I have one but I see them from time to time for really low amounts from very good brands.

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

Check out this seller (who is very often on EBay as well -- EBay store is "the world's finest"). I've bought 3 shirts from him. Great prices; super-reliable. As you can see, he often has tuxedos http://www.auctionworks.com/store....=332015

7. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

Rented tux. Didn't try on before I drove up to the wedding. Found out the trousers had a busted zipper. [​IMG] Missed the wedding party pictures trying to pin the zipper shut.

8. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I've learned to always try on a rented tux well before the event. A few years back (unfortunately before I owned a tux), I realized an hour before the event that I had received an XXL vest. For the record, I'm 5'10" and 146 lbs. As upset as I was, I felt really sorry for the large guy trying to wear my medium vest.

9. Alias

Alias Senior member

It's too bad those pictures are now gone. We would love to have some blackmail material.

Me, I've never wore a tux, rented or otherwise, in my entire life.

10. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I was once forced to wear a rented morning suit at an evening wedding. I was so offended by the forced breach of ettiquette, I totally ignored the quality (or lack thereof) of the suit.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

sounds kinda cool actually...
    i'd think an open zipper could only add to the pictures...
    that makes me laugh out loud. i don't see why the groom's men need to wear identical tuxedos. wouldn't just wearing the same colors be enough?

12. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Seems like a unified color scheme would work.

I don't know how this would go over with groomsmen, but I can remember my old girlfriend saying how she planned to make her bridesmaids' dresses ugly to make her own look that much better.

13. Classic

Classic Senior member

I was in a wedding party where despite two of us having our own tux, had to rent one. The groom said that he wanted all of us, except him to have the identical tuxs, shirts, ties, etc. As it turned out, the reason he wanted this was so that he could get his free for the wedding and for another occasion he had to attend a month later.
    One thing though, it did make me appreciate the quality and style of my own tux that much more.

14. GBGB

GBGB Member

All this tux talk has me thinking about my own upcoming wedding. Has anyone ever had a bespoke tux made by a tailor? Is it more challenging than a suit? I'm thinking about having a bespoke tux made (peaked lapels, single button), but I am a little nervous (about the bespoke tux and the nuptials). I don't think my wedding day would be the best time to figure out that the tailor I chose may have a quality control issue. I know this wouldn't be a problem for Darren or Raphael, but they are out of my price range (less than $2500).

Has anyone tried Ercoles Creative Fashions, the tailors in Brooklyn? I'm thinking about having them make the tux. I know of one poster who has had a good experience, but I would like to know if anyone has had any other experiences with them.

15. Qasimkhan

Qasimkhan Well-Known Member

A bespoke dinner jacket is a bit more challenging than a suit because it should fit somewhat closer to the body. Since you generally are not as active while wearing a dinner jacket to an event as you are while wearing a suit to work, it should fit closer to your skin.

I had a bespoke dinner jacket made from a good tailor in Kazakstan, and I was happy with the result. It was a very good dinner jacket, but probably not up to Savile Row standards.