• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wish I had more occasions to wear a suit. :(

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like only creative types and executives can really get away with wearing suits these days.

I already stand out (in a good way) by wearing sportcoats and well-fitting clothing; a suit would be excessive in my business-casual firm in a secondary/tertiary city (where even ties are too much).

School also doesn't present many opportunities for wearing suits.

What are the occasions that life provides for wearing suits? I'm really asking the question because I am eying this:

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...4&dept_id=4160

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat.

There are a lot of Xmas Parties that have started with work and, I kid you not, I go just so that I can wear a suit.

I wear a sport coat and I get comments from people.

I've also made it a habit to wear a tie under a v-neck sweater a la Binge.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I'm in the same boat.

There are a lot of Xmas Parties that have started with work and, I kid you not, I go just so that I can wear a suit.

I wear a sport coat and I get comments from people.

I've also made it a habit to wear a tie under a v-neck sweater a la Binge.

A suit seems a little over-the-top with these parties, though. A sportcoat and knit tie seems like the upper end...

Maybe I should enter politics, just so I could wear a suit.
devil.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
A suit seems a little over-the-top with these parties, though. A sportcoat and knit tie seems like the upper end... Maybe I should enter politics, just so I could wear a suit.
devil.gif

These are black tie optional events. A suit is the minimum. Don't enter politics....they have to wear ****** clothes.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a nice looking suit and a good sale. Just be thankful you aren't FORCED to wear a suit all the time!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be careful what you wish for

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camouflage lining? fun

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could start going to church. But only old stuffy ones.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Getting involved with politics got me a lot of occasions but I'm majoring in poli sci + law school so that's more of a bi-product..

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
It seems like only creative types and executives can really get away with wearing suits these days.

I already stand out (in a good way) by wearing sportcoats and well-fitting clothing; a suit would be excessive in my business-casual firm in a secondary/tertiary city (where even ties are too much).

School also doesn't present many opportunities for wearing suits.

What are the occasions that life provides for wearing suits? I'm really asking the question because I am eying this:

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...4&dept_id=4160

+1 I caught flack yesterday for wearing a pocket square at the new job. The site leader, and I quote, said "you dress better than anyone here - are you bucking for that promotion??"

well, yes. But I digress. If I wear a suit, it is sans tie. otherwise, I wear sportcoats and I am catching hell. Has the real world come to this? Slobs rule?

Geruvah

Reaction score
What creative jobs get away with wearing suits? I've even been told by some job interviewers that they automatically wouldn't hire a person if they wear a suit to the interviews (this is in the creative advertising industry). Even in the fashion advertising agency, nobody wears a suit.

So yes, I wish there were more occasions to wear one. You can always wear one at the award shows. =0D

Biscione

Reaction score
If you want to wear suits and are able to take potential criticism, just wear them. Life's too short to not indulge oneself in such a simple pleasure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads