• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wish I had more occasions to wear a suit. :(

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I would do that if I was independently wealthy. But I am a studying/working stiff.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, it's an awkward predicament, that's a nice suit too. If you're not living in a larger city where more formal clothing is expected, then it can feel out of place. But like Biscione says "life's too short" and really ... they're just clothes. No point in putting them on a pedestal. Try it a few times and see if you can get used to it. Hell, if anyone asks, you could just be honest and say: "I like suits and I want to see if I can get used to wearing them."

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A sales career.

Some dont require it, some do, most wont mind if you wear at least sportcoats and slacks.

its a stretch of the imagination to think that i need to wear sportcoats and suits everyday, but i still do.

I wear those clothes to show the people i do business with respect, and the people i meet on a daily basis respect also.

My old boss wears a sportcoat and slacks daily, even though everyone who works for him wear t-shirts jeans, ect, once in a while a polo shirt. I think i was the only person working for him that actually wore jackets.

Some people comment, but they get used to it.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the symphony. Frequently. Get drunk with friends before and after. Every time. Get to know your dry cleaner. Well.

JordanH.

Reaction score
i'm in college so i know exactly how you feel. but, i wear suits and sport coats anyway. I wore my gray window pane suit once with black tassel loafers, a maroon and navy bluish pocket square and no tie. i got stares but i felt good
smile.gif
and boy, i got many looks when i wore gray slacks, a navy blazer, a navy knit tie, and a red/blue/green/grey paisley pocket square. even my teacher said "i need his suit". even though it wasn't a suit. i'm almost sure i'm known as "the big black kid who always 'dresses up'"

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Go to the symphony. Frequently. Get drunk with friends before and after. Every time. Get to know your dry cleaner. Well.
Good idea. Art exhibit openings at galleries are another. In Poland you even get free wine and sometimes a bit of food at those. Yeah, most young guys there will probably be very casually dressed art students, but you'll stand out in a good way.

You could also show up for parties, clubs etc. wearing a suit, and when asked just give the old "my ripped jeans and T-shirt are at the cleaners" or "I need to do laundry" answer. People will think that you wear the suit to work.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geruvah
What creative jobs get away with wearing suits? I've even been told by some job interviewers that they automatically wouldn't hire a person if they wear a suit to the interviews (this is in the creative advertising industry). Even in the fashion advertising agency, nobody wears a suit.

So yes, I wish there were more occasions to wear one. You can always wear one at the award shows. =0D

I work as a fashion designer for a contemporary womens clothing and wear suits, ties, and sport coats all the time. I think it's really dependent upon the individual and the company.

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
+1 I caught flack yesterday for wearing a pocket square at the new job. The site leader, and I quote, said "you dress better than anyone here - are you bucking for that promotion??"

Hm. No doubt you are working with idiots. But what would be a nice reply? "I take the first part of your remark as a compliment. And to your question: I hope you are not judged by your style in this company." Maybe?

well, yes. But I digress. If I wear a suit, it is sans tie. otherwise, I wear sportcoats and I am catching hell. Has the real world come to this? Slobs rule?
Never wear suits without a tie. It's against their nature.

southbound35

Reaction score
My current employer's payroll is made up of "Dockers/golf shirt" types (jeans and athletic shoes on Fridays
eek.gif
). I try to differentiate myself from the rabble without being "that guy" by wearing patterned dress shirts (sans tie) and dress pants. I'm pretty sure I'm still considered "that guy", but not to the point anyone says anything about it. I think they'd call an intervention for me if I wore a sportcoat.
frown.gif

MHH89

Reaction score
I'm glad to see a post was made concerning this topic and I wanted to add my 2 cents with regards to the finance industry.

Bear Stearns and Lehman were the only banks that required business casual dress on a daily basis and we all know their how those two ended up. Nowadays in finance, unless you are a senior member of a particular bank/firm, I think it is safe to assume that your dress code is business causal.

It will be interesting to see if the finance industry reverts back to a business formal dress code much like they did after the dot.com bubble burst and the recession of 2001 once this current mess is cleaned up.

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
"hmm it is safe to assume busines clothes are business casual"...I can only assume you refer to brokers and not bankers!?!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently I work for a global company, so a tie is required every day except Friday. However, my city (Calgary) is not noted for fashion or even style, and a real consideration for me when I look at changing companies is "will I look too out of place wearing suits and pocket squares every day?"

July

Reaction score
I quit my last job, started my own company, wear what I want now, and deal with many of the same people, who incidentally think I look better for it. I work in high-tech, where pants are optional.

If it's a good suit and you play it down, you can minimize the pretentious douchebag vibe. Suits look better.

If you need to show that you're not a prissy suit-wearing *****, try switching it up so that people see that you can wear different hats; it gives you occasion to wear a suit and shows that when you do, you know what you're doing. Most people don't think that professional football players look out of place when they're wearing suits because they know that they could kick their asses on the field. Don't be defined as the guy wearing the suit, be the momentously brilliant/funny/sporty/badass/etc. guy who knows how to dress well.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
My current employer's payroll is made up of "Dockers/golf shirt" types (jeans and athletic shoes on Fridays
eek.gif
). I try to differentiate myself from the rabble without being "that guy" by wearing patterned dress shirts (sans tie) and dress pants. I'm pretty sure I'm still considered "that guy", but not to the point anyone says anything about it. I think they'd call an intervention for me if I wore a sportcoat.
frown.gif

I'm in pretty much exactly the same boat. They JUST last month discontinued "casual Fridays," so jeans are now verboten at all times; I'm working on a collection of black, khaki, and brown chinos and dress pants... I've gotten away with a tweed sportcoat & brown fedora (no tie), but that's upper-limit stuff.

And I just today got an Oxxford dark navy suit from an eBay auction that happens to fit me like it was MTM. My next occasion to actually wear it in public is probably April.
plain.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
+1 Has the real world come to this? Slobs rule?

Unfortunately, I also see this every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads