• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I wish I had more occasions to wear a suit. :(

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like only creative types and executives can really get away with wearing suits these days.

I already stand out (in a good way) by wearing sportcoats and well-fitting clothing; a suit would be excessive in my business-casual firm in a secondary/tertiary city (where even ties are too much).

School also doesn't present many opportunities for wearing suits.

What are the occasions that life provides for wearing suits? I'm really asking the question because I am eying this:

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...4&dept_id=4160

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat.

There are a lot of Xmas Parties that have started with work and, I kid you not, I go just so that I can wear a suit.

I wear a sport coat and I get comments from people.

I've also made it a habit to wear a tie under a v-neck sweater a la Binge.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I'm in the same boat.

There are a lot of Xmas Parties that have started with work and, I kid you not, I go just so that I can wear a suit.

I wear a sport coat and I get comments from people.

I've also made it a habit to wear a tie under a v-neck sweater a la Binge.

A suit seems a little over-the-top with these parties, though. A sportcoat and knit tie seems like the upper end...

Maybe I should enter politics, just so I could wear a suit.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
A suit seems a little over-the-top with these parties, though. A sportcoat and knit tie seems like the upper end... Maybe I should enter politics, just so I could wear a suit.

These are black tie optional events. A suit is the minimum. Don't enter politics....they have to wear shitty clothes.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a nice looking suit and a good sale. Just be thankful you aren't FORCED to wear a suit all the time!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be careful what you wish for

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Camouflage lining? fun

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could start going to church. But only old stuffy ones.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Getting involved with politics got me a lot of occasions but I'm majoring in poli sci + law school so that's more of a bi-product..

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
It seems like only creative types and executives can really get away with wearing suits these days.

I already stand out (in a good way) by wearing sportcoats and well-fitting clothing; a suit would be excessive in my business-casual firm in a secondary/tertiary city (where even ties are too much).

School also doesn't present many opportunities for wearing suits.

What are the occasions that life provides for wearing suits? I'm really asking the question because I am eying this:

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...4&dept_id=4160

+1 I caught flack yesterday for wearing a pocket square at the new job. The site leader, and I quote, said "you dress better than anyone here - are you bucking for that promotion??"

well, yes. But I digress. If I wear a suit, it is sans tie. otherwise, I wear sportcoats and I am catching hell. Has the real world come to this? Slobs rule?

Geruvah

Reaction score
What creative jobs get away with wearing suits? I've even been told by some job interviewers that they automatically wouldn't hire a person if they wear a suit to the interviews (this is in the creative advertising industry). Even in the fashion advertising agency, nobody wears a suit.

So yes, I wish there were more occasions to wear one. You can always wear one at the award shows. =0D

Biscione

Reaction score
If you want to wear suits and are able to take potential criticism, just wear them. Life's too short to not indulge oneself in such a simple pleasure.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40