• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I will be in Shanghai 20 Sept - 3 Oct

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I plan on moving here indefinitely in the summer next year, so I am visiting for two weeks to scope out where I will live, and such.

(Don't worry, my business will continue to operate out of the US. My assistant will fill orders while I'm gone.)

I would like to meet any SFers while I'm here and get your impressions of the city, which neighborhoods to live in, etc.

I would also appreciate tips on restaurants (preferably not any of the Western restaurants like M on the Bund), Belgian beer bars, and specialty liquor shops.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I plan on moving here indefinitely in the summer next year, so I am visiting for two weeks to scope out where I will live, and such.

(Don't worry, my business will continue to operate out of the US. My assistant will fill orders while I'm gone.)

I would like to meet any SFers while I'm here and get your impressions of the city, which neighborhoods to live in, etc.

I would also appreciate tips on restaurants (preferably not any of the Western restaurants like M on the Bund), Belgian beer bars, and specialty liquor shops.

Congrats! Shanghai is kind of big and sprawling so there's quite a few places to live. It seems to lack a certain character other than the area around the Bund. Crossing some of the streets is kind of an adventure (who needs traffic lights?) There's a really nice restaurant right around the corner from the Ritz Carlton.. I can't remember the name but it was one of my favorites.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's prompting the move?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My job can be done from anywhere so I think Shanghai would be a exciting place to live for a few years. I was born in Shanghai and my extended family is all here as well. I chose 2010 as the World Expo will be held there that year.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
Welcome back, at least for the visit. I've been living here for about a year now and I absolutely love the city. Coming from Western Countries, there is obviously a lot of adjustment that goes on, but since you've lived here before I am sure that you are aware of some of it.

In regards to restaurants, bars, and such; there are too many to list, with more opening everyday. In terms of living, it depends on things such as, what do you need/want to be close to, price range, living standards, convenience, etc. I will PM you my details if you want more specific answers.

Also, about the timing of the move. It might not be the best because of the Expo. Like the Olympics, the government is tightening up on Visas which makes it harder for foreigners to get into the China. Kind of ironic seeing as they want loads of tourists for the Expo.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm here now. I'm meeting up with TwentySomething in the next few days. Anyone else interested in meeting up?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I'm here now. I'm meeting up with TwentySomething in the next few days. Anyone else interested in meeting up?

Kent - It seems like just yesterday we were meeting for gyros! Good luck, but watch that QC (absentee owner, etc.).....

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a little busy over the weekend but free Sunday night. Other than that, my Tuesday-Friday is pretty open, except for the requisite 1 Oct National Day festivities. Email me: [email protected]

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The French Concession has a lot of character - more than just about any area of any Chinese city. There is no other area that is acceptable. The rest is just a field of the most tedious buildings imaginable. Even the Minister of Construction commented last year that China is a "land of a thousand identical cities" so don't blame me for being irritated by the situation.

If necessary, you should accept a sacrifice in space and living standards in order to live in the old area. Pudong is my definition of hell and heading north from Renmin square seems to be pretty much the same, except shoddier.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
The French Concession has a lot of character - more than just about any area of any Chinese city. There is no other area that is acceptable. The rest is just a field of the most tedious buildings imaginable. Even the Minister of Construction commented last year that China is a "land of a thousand identical cities" so don't blame me for being irritated by the situation.

If necessary, you should accept a sacrifice in space and living standards in order to live in the old area. Pudong is my definition of hell and heading north from Renmin square seems to be pretty much the same, except shoddier.

laugh.gif
such vitriol
devil.gif

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Damnit, wish I would have seen this earlier (my own travels have kept me away from the forum lately). As much as I hate that pit of a city, as a longtime lover of your pocket squares, I would have made the trip south. Hope you're having a great time in Shanghai and when you're back, I'll make a point of attending the next SF Shanghai (or All China) meetup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads