• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I washed my APC New Standard and they seem to have shrunk a lot!

The Dentist

Reaction score
Okay, I know most of you think I'm crazy but well, uhm... My original plan was to wear them and stretch them out as much as possible but then they started showing the first signs of coming fades after two weeks of weeks so I threw them in the wash inside out (I don't want whiskers and fades and stuff) and washed them once for 30 minutes with Vinegar in the soap compartment and then for one hour with clear water, no spin. I just laid them on the surface where I hang my clothes and they seem to have shrunk considerably... Maybe they seem that way because they are soaking wet? o_O

Fearful I decided to put them on (while still soaking wet) to check and I could only button the top button with a lot of difficulty, much more than when I first tried them in store. Should I be worried?

They also smelled like they spent the day in sea water, eeeew I'm no fisherman... I decided to wash them again with the laundry soap in the compartment this time at 30 degrees Celcius. If there was any shrinkage then it probably already happened anyway so I might as well have nice smelling jeans... Right?

Last edited:

hennree

Reaction score
Did you use malt vinegar? This has been known to cause more shrink with APC's due to the barley content causing the starch in the grain to turn to maltose.

Should you be worried? No, they will stretch back out. It's not uncommon for them to go smaller than they originally were after a wash.

Not tried it myself, but some people have jammed books between the waist overnight to stretch them out.

The Dentist

Reaction score
Did you use malt vinegar? This has been known to cause more shrink with APC's due to the barley content causing the starch in the grain to turn to maltose.

Should you be worried? No, they will stretch back out. It's not uncommon for them to go smaller than they originally were after a wash.

Not tried it myself, but some people have jammed books between the waist overnight to stretch them out.

No it was 8% Acidity Alcohol Vinegar (The kind that is as transparent as water). I put in half a bottle (1/2 Litre) as I wasn't sure how much to use. I hope you're right and they will stretch back out! :)

Last edited:

The Dentist

Reaction score
Okay, basically I should rename this thread "How to turn your raw APC New Standards into New Cures"... :p

TheSoonest

Reaction score
did you wash them in cold or hot water? if it was hot, it would cause them to shrink more than usual too. also if you washed them after only a couple weeks of wear, the fabric probably isnt really stretched out so any shrinking will feel more noticeable too than if you had worn them a while and had stretched out the waist, thighs, knees, etc

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TheDentist: Did the inseam shrink at all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads