• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some feedback on my new suit

scyther

Reaction score
Hi All

I new here, stumbled on this site a few weeks go and have been reading ever since.

I'm becoming more and more aware of how fit is so important.

I'm 25 and trying to clean up my wardrobe.

I have two suits at the moment, off the shelf.

This suit I'm showing I bought this week.

It's a 36 Regular. Pants 32 inch waist

I'm 5"11

Please let me know what you think, in particular the suit pants.

Thank you.

Taylorstav

Reaction score
The jacket is doing some weird things around the mid-section.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ that, and an inch off both jacket and pants would make that outfit work better. Overall not bad, at least you know now what to look out for in future fit and length wise. Hang around this forum for a bit.

Wraitii

Reaction score
I'd say this jacket makes you look weirdly skinny, but I can't figure out how.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ that, and an inch off both jacket and pants would make that outfit work better. Overall not bad, at least you know now what to look out for in future fit and length wise. Hang around this forum for a bit.

+1
Welcome to StyleForum and thank you for taking good photos with decent lighting!

Last edited:

scyther

Reaction score
Hi All

Firstly a big thank you to everyone for their feedback so far.

@Taylorstav
yeah, I see that, not sure why it's doing that, maybe when i put it on there it just bunched up.

I can fit my fist in between the front of the jacket and my stomach.

@SpooPoker
Cheers, I'm pleased with what the shop sold me but I wish they would catch things like this when they fit the pant legs because I wasn't sure myself.
Do you think the pants need to be narrowed a little around my legs, not skin tight or anything but a bit trimmer?

@Klobber
I'll bring the suit to a tailor sometime in the near future and get that sorted out.
I keep coming back to this forum since I came across this site.

Are my sleeves too long or do I just need to get longer shirts in the sleevess so that elusive 1/4 inch shows when relaxed and hands by sides?

@changy
Is the silver buckle a no no? I need to buy another belt anyway because the one I had with prongs broke a few weeks ago.

@Wraitii
I am quite skinny, but I prefer to have a proper fitting suit even if it does highlight that to a degree, thanks for the feedback

@Man Of Lint
Thank, I'll be back for sure with more requests for feedback, member are quite generous with advice.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Scyther,
Overall, really not bad at all for your first suits off the rack. You're on the right track. The midsection issue that people are noticing MIGHT (again, might) be due to issues with fit around the right shoulder. This can be fixed by getting the right shoulder raised. To see whether this would be a good idea or not, the tailor (or anyone, for that matter), can just kind of lift the shoulder up with their hand and see what it looks like. It's hard to explain without being there in person, but if you go to a tailor who knows what they're doing, they should get the idea (or a tailor on this forum can tell me whether or not my suggestion is a good one or not).

On the pants length, it looks like you're wearing them a bit low right now. I don't know if that's because the rise is really short or if you've got some more room to hike them up before you start getting nutsack cleavage. But see if you can hike them up a bit and have them fit comfortably - that would cure the pants length problem, and might be why it was tailored this way in the first place - because you were wearing them higher when you got them hemmed.

On the belt buckle, that kind of belt buckle is informal (and to me personally, not very attractive, but whatever), and shouldn't be worn with suits.

scyther

Reaction score
@unbelragazzo

Thanks, reading other threads on suit feedback and suit critique requests really helped in my decision to buy this suit,
especially going down to a 36R which fits so much better than 38R in the shoulders.

When I go home I'll get someone to lift my shoulder to see if that resolves the issue,
although im hoping the midsection was just like that in that shot and not there all the time.

Looking at the panst, I can see now they are being worn a bit low allright.
How much room should be between the pants and ones waist?
They stay on without a belt, but I have around an inch of room when i pull them. I think I'm a 31 more than the 32 they are.

Belt advice duly noted, I'll get onto that, i didn't realise it was informal.

Cheers

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Looking at the panst, I can see now they are being worn a bit low allright.
How much room should be between the pants and ones waist?
There are much wiser heads than myself on this forum for answering this question, but my take: Since they're flat front, they're designed to be worn a bit lower. Pleated pants really should always and only be worn all the way up at the waist, otherwise the pleats don't fall right and look ridiculous. With flat fronts, it depends on how much rise there is (how much room there is in the pants between the crotch and the waist). But pants that have a low enough rise that you can't comfortably wear them within an inch or so of your belly button don't belong with a suit, IMHO.

GHo

Reaction score
pants too long?

In the fashion "un"forward city of Des Moines, IA - most people would point and laugh if the pants were much shorter. I'd probably hear "what's up Highwater?"

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
+1
Welcome to StyleForum and thank you for taking good photos with decent lighting!

+1 to Mr. Lint.

The sleeves looks the right length which is often something that people neglect when posting these feedback threads os well done on that!!

scyther

Reaction score
@unbelragazzo

I appreciate your input. Adding the rise of pants to "what to pay attention to" when buying pants and a suit.

@davesmith
Thanks, I was wondering about my sleeve length.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll post my other suit another time for feedback on that one.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants too long, as already noted. Also, the pair might be too tight at the hips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads