• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want wings!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
desire3.jpg

herrbra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
weighted pullups/chinups
weighted inverted rows
t-bar rows
bent over barbell rows
bent over dumbell rows

yep

mr.loverman

Reaction score
do pull-ups like this

-wide over-hand grip
-start all the way at the bottom(arms fully extended)
-pull up slowly in a controlled manner until your chin is above the bar( some even go until their chest hits the bar)
-pause
-return to starting position in a controlled manner

DO NOT USE MOMENTUM FOR EITHER CONCENTRIC(UP) OR ECCCENTRIC(DOWN) PHASE!

DO NOT USE YOUR LEGS!
baldy[1].gif

Once you can do 12 reps with your bodyweight then consider adding weight.

smw356

Reaction score
wide grip pullups are not more effective than narrow grip, chins or neutral grip, all you are doing is putting your body at a biomechanical disadvantage by widening the grip. It doesn't help stimulate more, Just do chins or neutral grip and hold a heavier dumbell between your feet.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
??? Changing the grip changes the biomechanics of the movement resulting in different muscles being used more and others used less.

smw356

Reaction score
yeah, I was commenting on width not grip, going super wide doesn't really take your arms out of it and make it hit the back harder, it just puts you at a leverage disadvantage.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Greeeaaaat. Everybody's a comedian. I saw that coming, of course, but come on, men. In 12 responses there were only 3 exercise recommendations.

I do have access to a free motion machine, Eason, so I'll try setting the arms on it a little lower than I normally do so that I'm pulling inward as well as pulling down. And Beasty, if I understand you right, you're suggesting that I come up higher on my pullups, trying to get my chest to the bar instead of just getting my chin over it. Is that right? Also, as far as activating the lats goes, do you think it makes much difference how wide a hand placement one uses during pullups? If so, what do you recommend for widening the lats?

And what favorites do some of you other guys have for lats?

If you can get to your chest, good. If not below chin will be fine.

As for grips, it does matter. A normal front grip latpulldown attacks your lats whereas a normal inside grip latpulldown with palms facing you attacks your upper back thickness, I find. I dont fret about how wide my grip is. Just like I dont fret when I do squats whether my toes are pointing in, front or out. I just do it.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rowing

Mr T

Reaction score
I only hope you don't start suffering from ILS. It is common at many gyms and a shame to see.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gvibes
I've seen some female backstrokers with scary-wide lats.

That's because they train their lats.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I only hope you don't start suffering from ILS. It is common at many gyms and a shame to see.

The first time I entered a gym, running errands with my sister, the only man in there I saw didn't want his elbows within a foot of his body. Until I started going to the gym myself I always kind of assumed that was just what happened.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
I'll be careful. I promise.

There's a heavy-lifter at my gym whose build is so...well, let's say unusual that not do his elbows stick way out from his body, his palms are also turned straight back instead of facing inward toward his hips. Makes him look kind of pre-human, you know? Just a little to too far toward the left side of the evolutionary chart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics