• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to stop dressing like a kid, and more like a man.

OJKD

Reaction score
Where do you live? Different climate calls for diffrent clothing. Also; what are you wearing now, if you are think about upgrading to dark jeans?

Shortlist:

Trousers/jeans:

Chinos; khaki and navy
Mid-grey flannels
Jeans, find a fit you like, Wagner, Levis, A.P.C, Nudie are some brands.

Torso:
Black and white slim fitting tees, I prefer crewnecks to wear under sweaters.
V- and crewneck sweaters, Ralph Lauren, Uni-qlo, Lands End, J. Crew
Cardigans, same brands as above.
I really like cable-knits as well, Lands End and Ralph Lauren are my favorites so far apart from the ones my mother made for me.
Shirts are great at Luxire, MTM.

Outerwear:
Peacoat
Leather jacket, ToJ is good after what I`ve heard.

Shoes:
Clarks Desert boots
Trainers
Chelsea-boots
Jack Purcells
Boatshoes
A pair of nicer shoes, Meermin have some great ones.

Should be something to start out with at least, and most likely it is going to be in rotation no matter how your preferences evolve.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly every denim manufacturer makes a pair of dark denim. Just looks for a straight leg cut. Some choices are: Naked and Famous, AG Jeans, Nudie, Levis, Diesel, APC, Nudie, Epaulet, Ralph Ralph Lauren....I could go on. Try em' on and pick whichever you like best. The shoes you mention would be fine.

Last edited:

namignot

Reaction score
I live in up state NY. And thanks for the names ill look in to them. Some of the brands i know are not in upstate but might be in the city.

xCrunchx

Reaction score

I live in up state NY. And thanks for the names ill look in to them. Some of the brands i know are not in upstate but might be in the city.

you can get them all from this place called the interwebsZzsz

namignot

Reaction score
That is true, I just hate ordering them online and not fitting, brands all fit different. Thanks everyone.

glundr

Reaction score
how old are you and what is your main occupation? that should be your first consideration. if you are a student i would buy an expensive pair of boots, a high-end leather jacket, some cheap jeans that fit, a pack of white V-necks and then lurk until you find something that catches your eye whether it be a single piece or complete aesthetic. just please please please do not make the mistake of buying a load of ******* "style essentials" like khakis and blazers.

Strombollii

Reaction score

please please please do not make the mistake of buying a load of ******* "style essentials" like khakis and blazers. 

Unless you're a student and tend to exist in khakis and blazers like me...

hammerhead

Reaction score
Call the allen edmonds shoe bank in port washngton, have them email your the list of shoes in your size..... Can get some great deals.
Not sure Idstart with those...get a wingtip or capte in walnut or black in calfskin. Can go with jean or a suit for an interview even. ......way more versatile and wardobe building frendly

glundr

Reaction score
an overwhelming amount of guys look like complete dorks in this sort of stuff. especially students who cant afford the good ****.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is completely fine. It still boggles my mind that a grotesque amount of college kids are willing to go in huge amounts of debt to buy high end items. This is just asinine. Back when I was in college in the early to mid 2000s, I had a part time job barely making more than minimum wage, and buying something like $200 Red Wing boots was not possible. Besides, I wouldn't want to own nice stuff in college anyway, chances are you'll get your items dirty, beer spills, etc. on them.

By the OP's title of 'dressing like a man', it infers that he wants to go for the biz casual/men's wear style so I would go for the minimalist set up and buy mall brand stuff. As long as everything fits, you'll be good to go. Chances are you'll look sharper than your professors and certainly your classmates who show up to class in basketball shorts, and New Era fitted caps.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how old are you and what is your main occupation? that should be your first consideration. if you are a student i would buy an expensive pair of boots, a high-end leather jacket, some cheap jeans that fit, a pack of white V-necks  and then lurk until you find something that catches your eye whether it be a single piece or complete aesthetic. just please please please do not make the mistake of buying a load of ******* "style essentials" like khakis and blazers. 

College students can't afford an expensive pair of boots.. Well majority of them can't.

He can get all the items you listed for a reasonable price. Jeans are a must of course

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is completely fine. It still boggles my mind that a grotesque amount of college kids are willing to go in huge amounts of debt to buy high end items. This is just asinine. Back when I was in college in the early to mid 2000s, I had a part time job barely making more than minimum wage, and buying something like $200 Red Wing boots was not possible. Besides, I wouldn't want to own nice stuff in college anyway, chances are you'll get your items dirty, beer spills, etc. on them.
By the OP's title of 'dressing like a man', it infers that he wants to go for the biz casual/men's wear style so I would go for the minimalist set up and buy mall brand stuff. As long as everything fits, you'll be good to go. Chances are you'll look sharper than your professors and certainly your classmates who show up to class in basketball shorts, and New Era fitted caps.

Please listen to this man. STOP wearing baseball caps unless you're going to the game. Caps make you look younger.

Case in point

LOL

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP's statement that he wants to "stop dressing like a kid and more like a man" strongly infers he wishes to conform to some mainstream standard of dress. If that's the goal then he's come to the wrong place since this forum is strongly biased towards the style enthusiast, not the average guy who largely wishes to conform to the image of some popular archetype man.

If you hang out here long enough you will likely become convinced that the styleforum man is the superior form of your popular archetype man. You will thusly cloth yourself in skinny jeans, a ToJ leather, GATs and be none the wiser.

And who graduates directly from A&F to Allen Edmonds?!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics