I want to reproduce a book's illustrations to use as art for my walls. Legal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dusty, Jul 4, 2007.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Or rather, is there a legal way to do it short of obtaining permission from the author?

Second, where should I go to have such prints made (and have them look decent)?

2. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Hey, what's a little copyright infringement among friends?[​IMG]

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I'm no lawyer, or even a 1L until a couple months from now. So my legal opinion is worthless. But here it is anyway.

Intuitively it seems to me that, if you own the book making copies of its pages for your own use is little different from taking a CD and burning it into iTunes. Fair use. If you don't own the book, then it would be copyright infringement. If you ever sell the prints, or sell the book and keep the prints, that would be piracy.

However, rarely to pictures blown up from books or magazines look very good. The resolution tends to be high enough to look great on the page, but not a dpi more.

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm actually not sure how large they would have to be blown up, if it all. The book itself might be big anough. I can't say for sure because it's a rare book and I don't own a copy yet.

5. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Or rather, is there a legal way to do it short of obtaining permission from the author?

Second, where should I go to have such prints made (and have them look decent)?

How old is the book? Personally I wouldn't be too concerned considering its for personal use.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

I think it was published originally in 1981. The Codex Seraphinianus.

7. calvin1663

calvin1663 Senior member

unless you're inviting the author's attorney into your office, who's going to care?

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Don't worry about the law thing, unless you're planning to charge people to come in and look at your office.

Unfortunately, I can't help on the how to do it thing.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If people make internet avatars out of technically licensed things, I shouldn't think this would be a problem.

You can have someone photograph the picture on a copy-stand and then use the print as the blow-up. That's what they used to do when they wanted high-resolution reproductions.

10. alexei

alexei Senior member

I've had quite a few copyrighted images - from the web and scanned from books/newspapers - printed for personal artwork at Staples and they've never said a thing to me about legality. They were always in singles so there was never really a reason to think I was selling them.

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

The legal aspect wouldn't bother me personally, I'm just wondering if the printers would be willing to do it.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

they do this at my gym. they have these ancient prints from a book about Muscle Beach on the walls. It's been there for at least 5 years.

13. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't sell your walls, or charge people to look at your walls, or make any kind of money off your walls, you can do whatever the hell you want.

14. alexei

alexei Senior member

The legal aspect wouldn't bother me personally, I'm just wondering if the printers would be willing to do it.

As long as you take it to them in digital format - scan it, edit it, and put it on a disc - they won't care. You won't even have to tell them where it came from and if it's a rare book, they're not going to know. Even so, I recently had an AP photo reproduced to a 4x2ft poster and the printing clerk didn't care at all despite knowing this. Then when she gave it to me, a costumer in line behind me was so impressed with the picture that she asked if the lady still had it on the computer and could make her a copy too. She couldn't do that, but I gave the costumer my disc since I didn't need it and she turned around and ordered a print too.

15. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

copyrights run out eventually. That is why there have been so many incarnations of mickey mouse. My friend and I were going to make t-shirts w/ an old mickey mouse dressed in hitler youth garb.

I think you placing these pictures on your wall should be of no consequence.

robbie