• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want to have trousers made in Hong Kong

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am going to be in HK for business in the next couple of weeks.

I am interested in maybe having a few pairs of pants made up for me. I have one pair of OTR pants that fit me better than any other pair of pants I've ever owned. I'm thinking it might be cheaper and easier to have a tailor copy that garment, rather than wait through the process of multiple fittings, etc. for a bespoke pair of pants.

I already have a shirt order in with WW Chan, placed during their tour, and so I am already slated to see them for a fitting of my first shirt. I'm also planning on swinging into Jantzen's shop while I'm there too, to give his shirts a try.

Are either of these guys good bets to do trousers cheaply, quickly, and effectively? Will I have to leave the pants behind to get a reasonable facsimile? (I will need the pants for meetings during the trip.) Any other suggested options?

Thanks.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am one of the biggest Chanfans in the forum culture, but if you are looking for cheap pants, they are probably not your best bet. With any sort of decent fabric, I think you wll be looking at $450+ for pants from Chan. However, you will be assured of very good work. I don't know about a time line, but I know they try very hard to be very accommodating.

Jantzen gets mixed reviews in these fora, but the preponderance of opinion seems to feel their workmanship is good value for the money, even if they are flaky about overseas orders. I was rather impressed with a photo of a suit from Baron Kay of HK. Pricewise, I believe they stand between Chan and Jantzen but closer to the latter. I don't know much else about them, however.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A co-worker of mine just got back from a stint working in HK. He suggested Sam's Tailor. Co-worker says Sam's has outfitted a number of famous people including celebrities and politicians (can't recall which ones). Not that that means much, but at least he has a following. But he said he picked up his suit for $400, which look pretty good. I'm assuming the pants would be half of that or less.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gracias, JL and TR.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point of comparison, I can get good odd trousers (and good extends to the fabric) in Manila for about $80. Suits would be a different story, of course.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
A co-worker of mine just got back from a stint working in HK. He suggested Sam's Tailor. Co-worker says Sam's has outfitted a number of famous people including celebrities and politicians (can't recall which ones). Not that that means much, but at least he has a following. But he said he picked up his suit for $400, which look pretty good. I'm assuming the pants would be half of that or less.

Sam's? Your friend must have a good eye

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Local advice:
Don't go to Sam.
What price you are thinking of?
If just making trousers, no need to go to Chan, it is not "cheap."
If you just want to make odd trousers, you can try Tony at Fleet Arcade.
The problem of Tony is the fabrics, they have some very good vintage stuff, that his father left to him. But the normally fabrics he "sale" is not as good.
Don't ever try to make suit at Tony place. You will regret.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A stroll around Admiralty and Central would give you a hundred choices. I say just look around when you're there.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other

Votes: 79 30.9%