• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to have my cake and eat it too

SamSpade

Reaction score
This is surely childish, but that's exactly the kind of problem I have: I enjoy nice clothes as much as the next guy here, no question (basic, classic, conservative style). The problem is, I hate taking good care of my clothes - shoe polishing, brushing, ironing, etc. - UGH! Unfortunately, I can't afford a butler, and it ain't 1950 no more to outsource these operations to the missus, so I wonder what to do: 1) Continue treating nice clothes like crap thereby causing their premature death or 2) Think of alternative style options -->if so, what are the options for a lazy bum who doesn't want to look like one?
eh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who doesn't want to have his cake and eat it too? It can't be done. Wake up.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
marieantoinette.jpg
When Marie Antoinette said, 'Let them eat cake,' did she mean McCain Deep 'n Delicious cake with the see-through dome that seals in the rich moist flavor?
430142_DoubleChocolate_HR.png
Me personally...I'm still waiting for a delicious slice of pie in the sky!
Pie-in-the-Sky-34x28in-1978-28yjgn1.jpeg

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
This is surely childish, but that's exactly the kind of problem I have: I enjoy nice clothes as much as the next guy here, no question (basic, classic, conservative style). The problem is, I hate taking good care of my clothes - shoe polishing, brushing, ironing, etc. - UGH! Unfortunately, I can't afford a butler, and it ain't 1950 no more to outsource these operations to the missus, so I wonder what to do:

1) Continue treating nice clothes like crap thereby causing their premature death
or
2) Think of alternative style options -->if so, what are the options for a lazy bum who doesn't want to look like one?
eh.gif

if you can afford afford option 1 and have no moral qualms about it thats your best option i dont think youll be happy with option 2

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its late im tired why not

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just have to think outside the box a bit.
option 3) Pay a/your kid $1 to do all that for ya and tell them they can buy candy with it.
option 4) dispose of your missus and get one who will.

Should you choose option 4 make sure you do it discreetly and most importantly remove the eyes... and destroy them in the fireplace... because they can still see... trust me... I should know... I made that mistake once.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a woman in your life. Good thing is they do more than take care of your stuff.

edit: I re-read your poast and saw that you are afraid of having your lady do this for you.

SamSpade

Reaction score
Haha, always a pleasure to get some dose of tough (but witty) SF love
redface.gif

in stitches is pretty realistic - that's kind of what I'm doing now, having a lot of suits, to spread the damage around,although a better solution would be to have fewer suits, more carefully picked and cared for. Maybe one day, after I teach myself calculus.
Thankfully, the super polished look is not for me anyway, and also thankfully, I work in academia where just wearing real shoes, pants and shirts seems to be sprezz, so the bar is pretty low. There is a sweet disheveled spot between polished and standard academic disaster, which I hope will be possible to hit by just stocking up on enough stuff to keep the hobo look at bay
redface.gif

Made in California

Reaction score
Love havin my cake plus eatin it too ****, I got cake what the **** I'm 'posed to do -- Jay-Z

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Sounds like you need a woman in your life. Good thing is they do more than take care of your stuff.

edit: I re-read your poast and saw that you are afraid of having your lady do this for you.

Ladies cost more than clothes.

jdldore

Reaction score
Two choices: (1) hire a housekeeper to come in once every two weeks, which may be cheaper than you think; (2) Learn to love it. We did (1). She irons and steams. It is nice.

ktrp

Reaction score
In theory I don't mind ironing, in practice w/ three kids, it rarely happens.

I use a shirt laundry service now. This ends up costing something like $50/month.

Shoe polishing I'm going to have to make time for.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
In theory I don't mind ironing, in practice w/ three kids, it rarely happens.

I use a shirt laundry service now. This ends up costing something like $50/month.

Shoe polishing I'm going to have to make time for.

Shirt laundry for $50 a month? That is way too cheap for them to be doing a good job.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Shirt laundry for $50 a month? That is way too cheap for them to be doing a good job.

At $2.5-$3 per shirt at regular price, how many shirts do you go through in a month?

Option 1. Live in your clothes, have them laundered, don't worry about it. Polish shoes occasionaly and just buff them when needed. Every once in awhile go to a shoe shine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads