• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want to have my cake and eat it too

SamSpade

Reaction score
This is surely childish, but that's exactly the kind of problem I have: I enjoy nice clothes as much as the next guy here, no question (basic, classic, conservative style). The problem is, I hate taking good care of my clothes - shoe polishing, brushing, ironing, etc. - UGH! Unfortunately, I can't afford a butler, and it ain't 1950 no more to outsource these operations to the missus, so I wonder what to do: 1) Continue treating nice clothes like crap thereby causing their premature death or 2) Think of alternative style options -->if so, what are the options for a lazy bum who doesn't want to look like one?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who doesn't want to have his cake and eat it too? It can't be done. Wake up.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Marie Antoinette said, 'Let them eat cake,' did she mean McCain Deep 'n Delicious cake with the see-through dome that seals in the rich moist flavor?
Me personally...I'm still waiting for a delicious slice of pie in the sky!

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
This is surely childish, but that's exactly the kind of problem I have: I enjoy nice clothes as much as the next guy here, no question (basic, classic, conservative style). The problem is, I hate taking good care of my clothes - shoe polishing, brushing, ironing, etc. - UGH! Unfortunately, I can't afford a butler, and it ain't 1950 no more to outsource these operations to the missus, so I wonder what to do:

1) Continue treating nice clothes like crap thereby causing their premature death
or
2) Think of alternative style options -->if so, what are the options for a lazy bum who doesn't want to look like one?

if you can afford afford option 1 and have no moral qualms about it thats your best option i dont think youll be happy with option 2

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
its late im tired why not

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just have to think outside the box a bit.
option 3) Pay a/your kid $1 to do all that for ya and tell them they can buy candy with it.
option 4) dispose of your missus and get one who will.

Should you choose option 4 make sure you do it discreetly and most importantly remove the eyes... and destroy them in the fireplace... because they can still see... trust me... I should know... I made that mistake once.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a woman in your life. Good thing is they do more than take care of your stuff.

edit: I re-read your poast and saw that you are afraid of having your lady do this for you.

SamSpade

Reaction score
Haha, always a pleasure to get some dose of tough (but witty) SF love

in stitches is pretty realistic - that's kind of what I'm doing now, having a lot of suits, to spread the damage around,although a better solution would be to have fewer suits, more carefully picked and cared for. Maybe one day, after I teach myself calculus.
Thankfully, the super polished look is not for me anyway, and also thankfully, I work in academia where just wearing real shoes, pants and shirts seems to be sprezz, so the bar is pretty low. There is a sweet disheveled spot between polished and standard academic disaster, which I hope will be possible to hit by just stocking up on enough stuff to keep the hobo look at bay

Made in California

Reaction score
Love havin my cake plus eatin it too Shit, I got cake what the fuck I'm 'posed to do -- Jay-Z

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Sounds like you need a woman in your life. Good thing is they do more than take care of your stuff.

edit: I re-read your poast and saw that you are afraid of having your lady do this for you.

Ladies cost more than clothes.

jdldore

Reaction score
Two choices: (1) hire a housekeeper to come in once every two weeks, which may be cheaper than you think; (2) Learn to love it. We did (1). She irons and steams. It is nice.

ktrp

Reaction score
In theory I don't mind ironing, in practice w/ three kids, it rarely happens.

I use a shirt laundry service now. This ends up costing something like $50/month.

Shoe polishing I'm going to have to make time for.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
In theory I don't mind ironing, in practice w/ three kids, it rarely happens.

I use a shirt laundry service now. This ends up costing something like $50/month.

Shoe polishing I'm going to have to make time for.

Shirt laundry for $50 a month? That is way too cheap for them to be doing a good job.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Shirt laundry for $50 a month? That is way too cheap for them to be doing a good job.

At $2.5-$3 per shirt at regular price, how many shirts do you go through in a month?

Option 1. Live in your clothes, have them laundered, don't worry about it. Polish shoes occasionaly and just buff them when needed. Every once in awhile go to a shoe shine.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 7 10.9%