1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I want to buy my wife a watch

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by MikeF, Oct 22, 2006.

1. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I'd like to buy my wife a solid yellow gold wristwatch with a leather strap, in a tank style. I am not keen on quartz - I was thinking a vintage manual wind model.

Does anyone know where I would have the most luck looking for this sort of thing? Most of the watches on eBay don't fit the bill, and those that do are ugly. There are a few Cartiers that do the trick, but very few are solid gold, and those that are tend to be very expensive.

Ideas? Dealers? Any help is appreciated.

2. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I'd like to buy my wife a solid yellow gold wristwatch with a leather strap, in a tank style. I am not keen on quartz - I was thinking a vintage manual wind model.

Does anyone know where I would have the most luck looking for this sort of thing? Most of the watches on eBay don't fit the bill, and those that do are ugly. There are a few Cartiers that do the trick, but very few are solid gold, and those that are tend to be very expensive.

Ideas? Dealers? Any help is appreciated.

Well, your budget would help.

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Gerald Genta is my favorite watchmaker.

4. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I'd be prepared to pay up to US$1000 for a vintage piece - perhaps more if I came across something extraordinary. That limit is based on the fact that she likes the Baume & Mercier Hampton models (I don't), which seem to be available on eBay brand new for around US$1600 in solid gold.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i strongly suggest you go to timezone.com

6. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I checked timezone.com, but there seem to be very few ladies' watches being sold there.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Girard Perregaux Richeville (circa 2001)

They have a few models for women with automatic movements. I bought a used piece from a gentleman who purchased a GP for his wife. They might be pushing the budget at closer to 2k depending on the seller. At this price range, the watch will be either used or new old stock. Its an absolute stunner otherwise.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Girard Perregaux Richeville (circa 2001)

They have a few models for women with automatic movements. I bought a used piece from a gentleman who purchased a GP for his wife. They might be pushing the budget at closer to 2k depending on the seller. At this price range, the watch will be either used or new old stock. Its an absolute stunner otherwise.

What he said.

It's a great watch from a great company.

Jon.

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

They have a few models for women with automatic movements. ....

mmmm, women with automatic movements... [​IMG]

10. backboard60

backboard60 Senior member

11. kronik

kronik Senior member

lol, necroshill.

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I would advise against solid gold watches unless she is going to wear it once a year. They are scratch magnets, gold is too soft for daily watch.
    I would look into Bedat with diamonds in SS .