• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want to buy my own first suit

iamjammin

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm a senior in high school and I've been reading around the message boards for a while but have never posted anything, but today I finally have my own question.

I was just admitted to two colleges (and hopefully will be admitted to more as a grow closer to making a decision about where to go) and as a reward for what I think is a notable part of my life, I would like to buy myself a great first suit. Now, of course I've had suits before, but they weren't great suits because for most of my life I've been growing and what 14 year-old needs a really nice suit? But now that I'm done growing, and I am anr adult, I feel like its time to have a nice suit, and I feel it's important that I get it for myself.

So, where to start? I think I would most like a blue suit. I have a gray suit. It still fits, and decently well. Anyway, I've always thought that dark blue suits are the best looking.

My jacket size is about a 42L. On the money front, I can't spend a ton of money, but I have a job and make decent money for a teenager and this is something important to me so I'm willing to slap down a few paychecks for it. I suppose the obstacle is not a price, but my discipline not to "accidentally" spend some of the money while I'm saving up for the suit.

What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Did anyone have a similar situation? What was your own first suit (does thinking about your first suit bring back memories)?

All help is appreciated and I know from other posts that I can get good advice here. Oh and I can answer any questions that might help you all make better answers for me.

Thanks
 

blahman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
4,559
Reaction score
372
May I suggest you wait a little bit longer before purchasing your suit, as you mentioned you already have one that fits decently well. Even though that puberty is just about done and dusted, the transition from high school to college also likely to mean a big lifestyle change and that certainly can affect your body.

Navy blue suit is great by the way.
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
53
many college graduates don't even own a suit, you don't really need 2.
 

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
8,103
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
many college graduates don't even own a suit, you don't really need 2.

This.
Wait a little before you spend some $ on a new one.
 

SuitMyself

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
985
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by iamjammin
Hello,

I'm a senior in high school and I've been reading around the message boards for a while but have never posted anything, but today I finally have my own question.

I was just admitted to two colleges (and hopefully will be admitted to more as a grow closer to making a decision about where to go) and as a reward for what I think is a notable part of my life, I would like to buy myself a great first suit. Now, of course I've had suits before, but they weren't great suits because for most of my life I've been growing and what 14 year-old needs a really nice suit? But now that I'm done growing, and I am anr adult, I feel like its time to have a nice suit, and I feel it's important that I get it for myself.

So, where to start? I think I would most like a blue suit. I have a gray suit. It still fits, and decently well. Anyway, I've always thought that dark blue suits are the best looking.

My jacket size is about a 42L. On the money front, I can't spend a ton of money, but I have a job and make decent money for a teenager and this is something important to me so I'm willing to slap down a few paychecks for it. I suppose the obstacle is not a price, but my discipline not to "accidentally" spend some of the money while I'm saving up for the suit.

What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Did anyone have a similar situation? What was your own first suit (does thinking about your first suit bring back memories)?

All help is appreciated and I know from other posts that I can get good advice here. Oh and I can answer any questions that might help you all make better answers for me.

Thanks


You could do what a lot of SF members do: hunt down designer suits in mint, or near mint, conditon at thrift stores and secondhand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army) for next to nothing.
 

meadow

Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Why not wait until the spring of your first year at school? Perfect timing if you're planning to interview for internships and you can see what affects the freshman 15 have on you.
 

aridhol

Active Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You could do what a lot of SF members do: hunt down designer suits in mint, or near mint, conditon at thrift stores and secondhand stores (Value Village, Salvation Army) for next to nothing.

+1
 

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
2,147
Reaction score
175
You're better off allocating that money for shoes.
 

retozimmermann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
190
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
You're better off allocating that money for shoes.
+1, I was going to suggest shoes too. But I'm not as opposed to the idea of a suit as some of the others seem to be. However shoes will likely last you longer and be more versatile, thereby giving you a good feeling in more situations than a suit will.

Cheers
Reto
 

kungapa

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
838
Reaction score
26
First - the advice on your body changing is a sound one: the dangerous "freshman 15".

Second, almost no matter what school you end up at, a good-looking suit can be a great asset. Hopefully, there will be formal social events of various kinds and not looking like a high-school slob o his way to prom will get you plenty of points with the ladies and otherwise.

I remember getting plenty of mileage out of my slim-fitting chalk-stripe navy two-button peak lapel suit accompanied with a slim solid red tie, a pair of cognac wholecuts and a white pocket square during my freshman year.
 

Jay

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by iamjammin
But now that I'm done growing,

Originally Posted by Nicola
Who told you this?

+1. You are not done growing. Your body will change in college for the better (muscle gain) or worse (weight gain). However, after your first year, you will probably want two suits for internship interviews.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
717
I think it is a good idea although I do worry that your body will still change over the next few years.

You have various choices including MTM if you want something really good at this time. Then you will get at least some choice over it as opposed to what is on a rack. there is plenty advice on here about that but where do you live - that would assist.


To answer your other question, my father funded my first suit from his own tailor - bespoke so that shaped my suit buying for life.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,116
Messages
9,192,560
Members
193,064
Latest member
mariamask

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top