• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to buy a Burberry Trench coat

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you all do with the belt?

Either tie it, or shove it in your coat's pockets

While I have a Trench Coat I only wear it when its raining. Pea Coats and Covet Coats are easier to wear.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I'm young, and it makes me feel pretentious or old

Same. I find my quilted Barbour and RL riding jackets far easier to pull off. Though if I were to get a trench I'd go with Burberry. The cut appears to be far more appealing than the old man (read: baggy and droopy) cuts I am accustomed to seeing.

Amiens

Reaction score
I'm old-school when it comes to trench-coats; see the avatar; there is little point in getting a trench-coat that R.C. Sherriff wouldn't have recognised.
The issue that I have with Burberry is that the brand is too closely linked with the Chav elements of society with which I have no desire to be associated.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I'm old-school when it comes to trench-coats; see the avatar; there is little point in getting a trench-coat that R.C. Sherriff wouldn't have recognised.
The issue that I have with Burberry is that the brand is too closely linked with the Chav elements of society with which I have no desire to be associated.

It's funny because I don't feel this is the case in The States (at least not universally). I didn't know this was the opinion in the UK until I was informed by my British intern. From the stories he has told me, however, I can definitely see your point. I can't imagine being refused service at a pub for wearing Burberry.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Funny. I didn't know what Chav meant. It's definitely not applicable in the States, where our "Chav" elements have a whole other horrible layer of identification. Burberry in the States is linked more so to 40-something, skinny New York women, Asians, and dudes that are a little too into their appearance (at least from a laymen's perspective).

Hero878

Reaction score
Thanks for the further replies, I will try it instore first too see how it goes on. I agree about the feeling of being pretentious or old or looking like inspector gadget. But thats why I will choose Burberry as they seem to look more stylish and okay for younger people to wear without looking OTT.

Does anyone know when the summer sale will start? I just noticed that the burberry website has updated within info about their winter/autumn stuff.

thanks

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the further replies, I will try it instore first too see how it goes on. I agree about the feeling of being pretentious or old or looking like inspector gadget. But thats why I will choose Burberry as they seem to look more stylish and okay for younger people to wear without looking OTT.

Does anyone know when the summer sale will start? I just noticed that the burberry website has updated within info about their winter/autumn stuff.

thanks
Yeah, definitely try t one before you buy Burberry. Their sizing is all over the place depending on model.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find Burberry's older stuff to be far more well-made than their recent offerings. I have an older Burb trench that is near indestructible and feels like it will last forever. In comparison, their newer coats just don't appear to have the same quality or construction.

Look at their profitability and bottom line. It has achieved a complete economy of scale.

poissa

Reaction score

Definitely go double breasted. Don't be fooled by the aquascutum nonsense on this forum. The cut on the Burberry is much more stylish.

Either way, it's not a ton of money to spend on a jacket that you'll wear for years. Jackets are an important wardrobe staple and not something to be overlooked.

Isn't the cut being more stylish moot if you get a tailor to take in the coat?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Burberry was selected as one of the top 10 tacky brands in this forum. Do not forget it.

wow..Jerome.. you never seem to surprise me.

Anyway..

The belt shouldn't be an issue, most trench coats have a slider so you can hold the hanging end of the belt.
I would walk into a store first and try one on they have a selection of coats and sizing is always off.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

btw I don't feel anyway that Burberry is chad and I live in the UK lol

Back in 2005-6 Burberry was very chav. But not now though.

Burberry realised they had a bit of an image problem in the UK..

...so they had to do something about it, and scaled right back on the infamous plaid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4381140.stm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...n-chav-image-fashionistas-favourite-more.html

We like our Burberry in Xilinhot though...

...never had any chavs in China.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny because I don't feel this is the case in The States (at least not universally). I didn't know this was the opinion in the UK until I was informed by my British intern. From the stories he has told me, however, I can definitely see your point. I can't imagine being refused service at a pub for wearing Burberry.

Oh that definitely happened.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/northamptonshire/3983633.stm
"Police are trying to cut crime in shops - by banning customers wearing "Chav"-style clothes."

It seems so long ago now.

Actually what is the current UK 'yob culture' nuisance these days?

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Burberry is doing a good job of taking chav down a few levels, but problem is I know people (even in US) who buy Burberry only to show off the 'nova check'.

I remember trying on a trench coat, nice slim fitting one. Was on sale for $675 I believe and I was ready to buy it. THen the person helping me out was complimenting the ook (probably to get the sale) and then approached my collar and said, that look is great, and its even cooler since you can pop the collar and then everyone can see the check pattern underneath. In my head I was just thinking, are you ******* serious. Then I turned to him and let him know he just lost a sale, took the coat off and walked out. Never have I walked back into any Burberry store since.

Burberry also hit a low when they started doing the 'Big Knight' polos. I mean talk about ripping a page out of RL. I understand Express copying, because Express is shite, but Burberry.. I was somewhat surprised. All my friends that own Burberry only own it for the checks. Some wear the dress shirts with the checked cuffs. A royal blue dress shirt, then they fold the cuffs back and leave them like that to show the checks off.

Fools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads