1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I want to buy a Burberry Trench coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hero878, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jeromestyle

jeromestyle Senior member

2. Hero878

Hero878 Member

Thanks for the further replies, I will try it instore first too see how it goes on. I agree about the feeling of being pretentious or old or looking like inspector gadget. But thats why I will choose Burberry as they seem to look more stylish and okay for younger people to wear without looking OTT.

Does anyone know when the summer sale will start? I just noticed that the burberry website has updated within info about their winter/autumn stuff.

thanks

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Yeah, definitely try t one before you buy Burberry. Their sizing is all over the place depending on model.

4. Hero878

Hero878 Member

5. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Look at their profitability and bottom line. It has achieved a complete economy of scale.

6. poissa

poissa Senior member

Isn't the cut being more stylish moot if you get a tailor to take in the coat?

7. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

wow..Jerome.. you never seem to surprise me.

Anyway..

The belt shouldn't be an issue, most trench coats have a slider so you can hold the hanging end of the belt.
    I would walk into a store first and try one on they have a selection of coats and sizing is always off.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Back in 2005-6 Burberry was very chav. But not now though.

Burberry realised they had a bit of an image problem in the UK..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...so they had to do something about it, and scaled right back on the infamous plaid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4381140.stm
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...n-chav-image-fashionistas-favourite-more.html

We like our Burberry in Xilinhot though...
    [​IMG]
    ...never had any chavs in China.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Oh that definitely happened.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/northamptonshire/3983633.stm
    "Police are trying to cut crime in shops - by banning customers wearing "Chav"-style clothes."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems so long ago now.

Actually what is the current UK 'yob culture' nuisance these days?

10. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Yeah Burberry is doing a good job of taking chav down a few levels, but problem is I know people (even in US) who buy Burberry only to show off the 'nova check'.

I remember trying on a trench coat, nice slim fitting one. Was on sale for $675 I believe and I was ready to buy it. THen the person helping me out was complimenting the ook (probably to get the sale) and then approached my collar and said, that look is great, and its even cooler since you can pop the collar and then everyone can see the check pattern underneath. In my head I was just thinking, are you fucking serious. Then I turned to him and let him know he just lost a sale, took the coat off and walked out. Never have I walked back into any Burberry store since.

Burberry also hit a low when they started doing the 'Big Knight' polos. I mean talk about ripping a page out of RL. I understand Express copying, because Express is shite, but Burberry.. I was somewhat surprised. All my friends that own Burberry only own it for the checks. Some wear the dress shirts with the checked cuffs. A royal blue dress shirt, then they fold the cuffs back and leave them like that to show the checks off.

Fools.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm quite sure that Nova check has to be the most abused thing there is in China. One sees it everywhere here.

A couple of carrier bags which came from the local supermarket, used for carrying my groceries.
    [​IMG]
    They're not quite true Nova check, but it's near enough.

That's terrible, especially about doing the 'Big Knight' stuff, copying RL. TBH I sometimes think that Burberry is just asking for it.

12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I was reading an article in the WSJ yesterday and it was about how China now basically copies stores as well as items. So there are faux Apple stores, Ikea, that use the same marketing, layout, etc. but with cheaper products, of course.

13. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Hero878, thrift one or try one on at Burberry's and then head to eBay. These jackets are all around.

14. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

I saw something on that too, the most hilarious thing about it was in one particular case the employees of a fake Apple store thought it was real.

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I think the hilarious thing is that a store that sells genuine Apple products could be considered fake.

16. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Thing is those fake Apple stores where extremely convincing...There are the tables, blue t-shirts, lanyards, there is a 'Genius Bar', the iPads are genuine but probably grey-imported...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is one thing in these pictures which shows that this is not the real-mccoy.... can anyone spot it?

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

This is a Xilinhot Disney store...
    [​IMG]
    ...100% fake of course, as is everything it sells.

18. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

No real location has "Apple Store" written under the Apple logo? That is definitely the case in The States.

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh that's it. Apple does not put 'Apple Store' anywhere, they just have the glowing fruit.

20. Hero878

Hero878 Member

I got one today for only £129 reduced from £495 at the Burberry Outlet in Cheshire Oaks in Chester.

I can't find a picture of it but its a single breasted one and looks like this one but in beige/trench colour and but doesn't have as much check lining as shown in this picture.
    [​IMG]

I think I got a size or 2 too big tho, it fits my shoulders well but the sleeves are long and it just sits above my knee cap, will have to get the sleeves shortened by about 2 inches.

thanks for all the replies

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011